Glotmorf on 12 Nov 2002 06:43:03 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Proposal: Dues

On 11/12/02 at 12:19 AM Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:

>>From: "Glotmorf" <glotmorf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>{{ _Giving Societies Their Dues_
>>
>>Add to the end of subsection C.1 of Rule 578 the following:
>>
>>A Society can collect from its members' inventories, attributes or
>>dimensions quantities as specified in its charter;
>
>Change it to Bandwidth, Points, Score, and/or Junk (or whatever else we
>decide on--I'm still waiting for your input), and I'll vote for it.  Being
>able to suck up other things, such as BAC or respect, is not something I
>think is good.  Plus, all that societies can have is those 4 (or least
>will
>soon on the last one).

You're still not getting it, after all the arguing.  It's not a question of what *you* think is good.  A society is made up of its members.  If a society's members want the society to be able to suck up points, style, vote proxies, cups of tea or anything else, why should anyone outside that society prevent them from setting up the society to do it?  I thought I made that clear when I added the unanimous consent provision: this could only happen if all the members of a society agreed on it happening, whether they're in the society at the time or attempting to join it.

Besides, if, as you say, the abovementioned four are all a society can possess, it's not a problem, is it?  You've got blanket permission combined with specific restriction.  Alternately, if someone did try to have a society collect BAC, and the society can't possess BAC, it'll get redistributed to the rest of the members of the society.  So you'll have collective drinking binges.

Hey, there's a thought.  Under your new version of r578, I can raise my BAC to 50, then contribute it to some society with five members, which will give each of them a BAC of 10...

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a cyber-anthropologist's blog
http://ix1.1sound.com/ivoryminitower