Glotmorf on 11 Nov 2002 18:00:03 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Seizing the Reins of Power

On 11/11/02 at 10:52 AM Wonko wrote:

>Egad, I'd forgotten about that:
>R2: Any similarity between the string of characters that constitute the
>name
>of a Player and a string of characters in the text of a Proposal, Rule, or
>Judgment shall have no impact on the implementation of that Proposal, Rule,
>or Judgment, unless the language of the Proposal, Rule, or Judgment
>specifically indicates the string of characters is referring to a Player of
>that name. [[For example, "the player JohnDoe" or "the player named
>JohnDoe."]]
>

>So when the rules say that 'Glotmorf' can change the rules, it doesn't
>actually have any effect, meaning Glotmorf's changes don't apply.
>Interesting.

Actually, no.  What r2 says is that the fact that my name is the same as the string of characters in the rule has no impact on the rule's implementation.  Well, I'd say the rule is implemented quite nicely, thank you, and the fact that my name was in it didn't interfere with that.

Now there's a rule called Glotmorf Rules!, which specifies an entity named Glotmorf that can change the rules.  As the other part of r2 says entities must have uniquely identifying names, the fact that I am named in the rule means the rule must refer to me, as it would be illegal for there to be another Glotmorf that the rule might be referring to.  So my being able to change whatever rules I want would be a successful implementation of the rule, not impacted by the fact that it's my name in there.

All this is assuming, of course, that r2 has any control over Glotmorf Rules!, since the latter will be higher-numbered and therefore take priority.

Either way, one of us rules, right?  It is of course my opinion that it's me, but in case it's not can we talk about fixing Orc's "fix" so that my societies can function again?

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a cyber-anthropologist's blog
http://ix1.1sound.com/ivoryminitower