Wonko on 29 Oct 2002 22:22:02 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] My refresh prop

Quoth Glotmorf,

> My refresh prop is below.  There are some issues that are raised in other
> refresh props that I'm not addressing in this one.  My reasons for this are as
> follows:
>
> 1. The purpose of a state of emergency is to rectify a condition that is
> considered to prevent the game from functioning.  To function in a screwy
> manner isn't necessarily a bug in a Nomic game, and isn't necessarily
> abnormal.  I personally recognized a state of emergency because I thought the
> votes-per-player issue prevented the game from functioning.  I don't know of
> anything else that prevents the game from functioning, so I'm not including
> anything else in the refresh prop.

Well, that depends. As Dave has pointed out, e doesn't have an infinite
supply of time and power to process Nomic Things. Anything that results in a
lot of work for Dave (or even for minor ministers) is therefore something
that could prevent the game from functioning. The complete reset is
neccessary, because as ambiguities about the past resolve, the Admin may
have to go back and fix large sections of the records to align things. For
example, if I actually had won last nweek, which I still think was legal,
then there was a 3-day clockstop, and so Voting was 3 ndays later than we
thought, so everything failed. This particular issue I'm not pressing
because things are chaotic enough, but the principle is the same.

> 2. This Nomic game has a process for evaluating, approving and applying
> change.  To insert anything into a refresh prop other than emergency condition
> rectifications is to circumvent that process.  More than that, it is to put
> players deciding on the refresh prop under the gun, because a refresh prop,
> unlike a normal proposal, isn't a yes-or-no decision.  One refresh prop *will*
> be selected, and *will* be implemented.  Players may feel that it is necessary
> to allow changes that should be in proposals in order to implement a solution
> to the current emergency.

This Nomic game does in fact have a process for evaluating, approving and
applying change. But r0 doesn't circumvent that system - it's PART of that
system. If the majority of the player base wanted to, I see no reason why we
couldn't conduct ALL rule changes by way of states of emergency. Apart from
the obvious one that nothing would ever get done, and we'd all quit. But
that's just procedural; I don't see any ethical reason why we shouldn't use
r0 for as much as we want to.
    As for putting players "under the gun", well, if they don't like the
changes, they can make their own refresh prop. Obviously this is possible
because you just did. So now, it IS a yes-or-no decision whether all of my
changes take effect, because you can vote for yours instead if you feel that
it's better.

But the point of playing Nomic, or for playing any other game, is to have
fun. And perhaps I'm just weird, but I don't find what we're currently doing
to be much fun. We're sitting and yelling at each other about CFI's, while
we can't actually do much of anything else because we don't know how many
points we have, or even if the Clock is right (remember, 3-day stop when BvS
may or may not have won).

I personally feel that it would be more fun for everyone involved simply to
set the state of the game to something known, and play from there. I also
think that fixing the irritating little glitches in the ruleset that cause
so much trouble would make things more fun. My refresh prop reflects this.

But hey, it's not really in my hands. I've presented my ideas, you've
presented yours. Other people may have their own ideas of what should be
done.

May the best refresh prop win.

--
Wonko