Orc In A Spacesuit on 28 Oct 2002 20:54:02 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] a refresh prop

See my response to Wonko's for details I leave out here.

From: "Glotmorf" <glotmorf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>- Vote Fix -
>Change the first paragragh of Rule 15 to:
>"Players may vote. Other entities may vote only as explictly permitted by
>the rules.  Each Player and other voting entity gets one vote by default,
>and may gain others as explictly stated by the rules."
>
>BvS got at most one point for voting per proposal, in accordance with the
>rules.

Cut it off right here and it's fine.

I want to do more than just allow the game to continue, I want to also patch up a few things. But yeah, I cut some of the rest out due to complaints.

>- Society Fix and enhancement -
>Implement Orc's __Societies and Corporation prop.

First of all, any problems you may perceive with societies are not an immididate problem, or even an immediate one. Second, this is a cheap attempt to circumvent the due process to which said proposal should be subjected.

People can vote no. If you don't like it, submit a prop like mine with that part removed. Let the people decide. Although I *ask* that you wait a couple days for people do hash out problems before you make your society-leaving one.

>- Flatten the Grid headache -
>In rule 301, replace the text of subsection A.1 with the following:
>{{
>There exists an environment known as the Grid. The Grid is composed of
>locations, or Squares. The Grid is 20 units wide by 20 units tall. The
>units
>are numbered from 1 to 20 horizontally (the x axis) and 1 to 20 vertically
>(the y axis). Each unit on the Grid can be expressed as an (x,y)
>coordinate
>location, with (1,1) in the lower left-hand corner, and (20,20) in the
>upper
>right.  All references to "grid locations" or "surface squares" refer to
>the
>appropriate Squares of the Grid.
>}}

There is nothing involving the grid that's an immediate emergency. This is therefore inappropriate for a refresh prop.

*stifled laughter* *gets serious again* Sorry bout that. However, your opionion is not the opinion of everyone here. I personally am not even trying to figure out the ramifications due to ambiguity and inconsistent wording. Wonko's said enough on the matter, talking about infinte spaces and such.

*snip about entropy*
There is nothing involving the above that's an immediate emergency. This is therefore inappropriate for a refresh prop.

I cut it out. I don't see why people would vote against the change, but hey, Vox Populi.

>- Damage control -
>Create the Football at (10,10).

This isn't exactly an emergency. The game can survive without a Football. Also, this doesn't solve the problem since the Football rule still doesn't have a destructor clause.

Fine. I'll think about taking it out or fixing football. But just because it's not required for the game to continue doesn't mean we can't do it. Heck, if we wanted to, we could make a refresh prop rain bananas on random grid spaces, and make The Yeti an administrator. Not that I'd advocate that.

>Destroy all shares of all stocks.

This should actually have occurred when the stock market rule got turned off.

I think it might have, but lets make extra sure.

>Destroy all Service Malls, and then place Service Malls on every square
>with
>x and y coordinates that are both integral multiples of 6.
>Place 12 bonus boxes on random surface squares.
>Make 3 randomly chosen Gremlins Active and place them on randomly chosen
>Squares.

None of the above is an emergency.

And?  The above does bring the game back towards it's intended function.

>- Honors -
>Give each player that joined the game prior to the current nweek a T-Shirt
>with the text, "I survived Nweek 24, no thanks to Wonko, Glotmorf, BvS,
>Orc,
>bd, or Lord Gregarian".
>Give Glotmorf the title: "Lord of the Bulldozers".
>Give Orc in a Spacesuit the title: "Lord of the Bomb Launching"
>Give bd the title: "Knight of the Bomb Launching"
>Give Wonko and BvS each the title: "Knight of the Bulldozers"
>Give Wonko and Glotmorf each the title: "Most Disputed Bastard"
>Give BvS the the title "Ballot Stuffer Extraordinaire"

Hard to comment on this without seeming more of a curmudgeon than usual. Hey, how would people feel about a la carte refresh props?

Comment away. This part is definitly up to the players. As for a la carte, the less stuff complicating emergencies, the better.