Glotmorf on 28 Oct 2002 12:48:03 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] a refresh prop

On 10/27/02 at 1:24 PM Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:

>Here's a refresh prop.  I used Wonko's as a guide, but I updated it and
>removed the reset.  Just cause the Grid's been turned into a warzone
>doesn't
>mean we can't continue playing in that warzone.
>
>I'm sure not everyone's going to like every detail, but email me your
>complaints and I'll see what I can do.
>
>{{
>- Vote Fix -
>Change the first paragragh of Rule 15 to:
>"Players may vote.  Other entities may vote only as explictly permitted by
>the rules.  Each Player and other voting entity gets one vote by default,
>and may gain others as explictly stated by the rules."
>
>BvS got at most one point for voting per proposal, in accordance with the
>rules.

Cut it off right here and it's fine.

>- Society Fix and enhancement -
>Implement Orc's __Societies and Corporation prop.

First of all, any problems you may perceive with societies are not an immididate problem, or even an immediate one.  Second, this is a cheap attempt to circumvent the due process to which said proposal should be subjected.

>- Flatten the Grid headache -
>In rule 301, replace the text of subsection A.1 with the following:
>{{
>There exists an environment known as the Grid. The Grid is composed of
>locations, or Squares. The Grid is 20 units wide by 20 units tall. The
>units
>are numbered from 1 to 20 horizontally (the x axis) and 1 to 20 vertically
>(the y axis). Each unit on the Grid can be expressed as an (x,y)
>coordinate
>location, with (1,1) in the lower left-hand corner, and (20,20) in the
>upper
>right.  All references to "grid locations" or "surface squares" refer to
>the
>appropriate Squares of the Grid.
>}}

There is nothing involving the grid that's an immediate emergency.  This is therefore inappropriate for a refresh prop.

>- Something appropriate -
>Amend rule 154, section B.6. [[Entropy]] thusly:
>On the list of events, add to the list of objects in the second item of the
>list the following objects: Brooks, Sponges, Shears, Ancient Monoliths,
>Athames, Sledge-O-Matics, Piles of Kindling, Towels, Small Lumps of Scrap
>Metal, and Large Lumps of Scrap Metal.

There is nothing involving the above that's an immediate emergency.  This is therefore inappropriate for a refresh prop.

>- Damage control -
>Create the Football at (10,10).

This isn't exactly an emergency.  The game can survive without a Football.  Also, this doesn't solve the problem since the Football rule still doesn't have a destructor clause.

>Destroy all shares of all stocks.

This should actually have occurred when the stock market rule got turned off.

>Destroy all Service Malls, and then place Service Malls on every square
>with
>x and y coordinates that are both integral multiples of 6.
>Place 12 bonus boxes on random surface squares.
>Make 3 randomly chosen Gremlins Active and place them on randomly chosen
>Squares.

None of the above is an emergency.

>- Honors -
>Give each player that joined the game prior to the current nweek a T-Shirt
>with the text, "I survived Nweek 24, no thanks to Wonko, Glotmorf, BvS,
>Orc,
>bd, or Lord Gregarian".
>Give Glotmorf the title: "Lord of the Bulldozers".
>Give Orc in a Spacesuit the title: "Lord of the Bomb Launching"
>Give bd the title: "Knight of the Bomb Launching"
>Give Wonko and BvS each the title: "Knight of the Bulldozers"
>Give Wonko and Glotmorf each the title: "Most Disputed Bastard"
>Give BvS the the title "Ballot Stuffer Extraordinaire"

Hard to comment on this without seeming more of a curmudgeon than usual.  Hey, how would people feel about a la carte refresh props?

>Change the gamestate so nobody is recognizing a state of emergency.
>[[Unneccessary, but we might as well be clear]]

Actually, this is an interesting point, and may reflect a needed change to Rule 0.

>Activate the Clock, and continue play.  All proposals and other game
>actions
>made but not recognized are now immididately recognized.

This, on the other hand, is unnecessary.  The Clock rule takes care of it.

						Glotmorf