Rob Speer on 26 Oct 2002 19:27:02 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Number Guessing 2

On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 12:39:55PM -0500, Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:
> I sure as heck would.  With 21 different number in 5 different coordinates,
> a guesser would have a one in 4084101 chance of guessing right.  I'd
> encourage you all to guess away.  But if you feel the answer could be
> guessed by how close the guesses are, reduce the award.  Or maybe scale the
> reward, making it 30-(the number of guesses so far).

Wait... you get the exact distance after guessing, right? (Under the
"standard metric", whatever that is...) And it's in two dimensions?

If the standard metric is Cartesian, then 3 guesses are all you need. If
it's Taxicab, it may require 4. But that's all.

This game sounds like it would be cool if it weren't broken, though.
--
Rob Speer