Orc In A Spacesuit on 26 Oct 2002 18:21:02 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Number Guessing 2

From: "Jeremy \"Athena\" Cook" <mcfoufou@xxxxxxxxx>
On Sat, 26 Oct 2002, Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:

> >From: "Jeremy \"Athena\" Cook" <mcfoufou@xxxxxxxxx>

> >and
> >Number
> >Game
> >player
> >Guessing
> >Game.
> > >
> > > That still does not stop 2 players working together. Make the 30 points
> > > come from the other player.
> > >
> > > Orc In A Spacesuit
> > >

> >No. That's too big of a penalty. No one would Join.
> >
> >Athena
>
> I sure as heck would. With 21 different number in 5 different coordinates,
> a guesser would have a one in 4084101 chance of guessing right.  I'd
> encourage you all to guess away.  But if you feel the answer could be
> guessed by how close the guesses are, reduce the award. Or maybe scale the
> reward, making it 30-(the number of guesses so far).

For the first guess, yes. For subsequent guesses, it's much more likely if
you use a good strategy.

> Whether or not you do this, you do need to deal with the fact that this is
> easily exploitable by two people working together.

Part of the fun is collaboration and the back-stabbing it will inevitably
bring.

I agree such things can indeed be fun, but I feel Dave will think otherwise when he recieves 500 messages each from a pair who have decided to blow this apart before someone else does.

Orc In A Spacesuit
thinks this will be fun, but wants it fixed.