Glotmorf on 26 Oct 2002 06:37:02 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] societies 4

On 10/26/02 at 1:25 AM Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:

>> >one
>and
>> >
>> >People can leave.  Nothing can restrict them.  All the Society can do is
>> >try
>> >to take Actions and stuff to do bad things to the leaving member.  One
>> >thing
>> >it could do is encourage members to throw Bomb Gnomes at the deserter.
>>
>>You're not getting it.  My fix means if a society charter gets changed to
>>require its members to give points, those members can leave a society
>>rather than giving points, and On Leave players can't be screwed over in
>>their absence.  Your rewrite of the rule doesn't provide those
>protections.
>>  Those protections are supposed to prevent the whole Wonko's Slaves
>>nonsense that presumably prompted your total rewrite.
>
>You're not getting it.  Players cannot be required to give points or
>anything else by a society.  All a Society can do is say "Here's my list
>of
>things members must do.  On this list is 'Throw one Bomb Gnome at an
>Ousted
>player within 10 ndays of em being ousted'.  If any member disobeys any of
>these rules, e is ousted."  Societies are not law.

Right now they are.  The rules in a society's charter are binding upon its members.  Hell, I didn't even notice that...Your definition of societies doesn't allow for actions to be required of its members, or restrictions to be placed on its members.  That's not part of the definition of the charter.  Neither are private rules, apparently.  That'll take a lot of the teeth out of INH.

						Glotmorf