Orc In A Spacesuit on 23 Oct 2002 09:22:02 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Sliced Bread looking better

Well, I can see what Dave has been trying to do with some of his props (which will be obvious soon), and I know a lot of the objections to them, so here's compromise.

Addendum: I specifically remember Dave saying something about Gold Stars, but I can't find it anywhere. If they are different, I'd like to incorporate them too.

I don't propose the following rule, because it's on -discuss:
{{__Gold Coins__
Any player may, once per nweek, pay Five US Dollars to the Administrator in exchange for a Gold Coin. The Gold Coin shall be issued to the paying player at the beginning of the nweek following receipt of payment. If payment is received during the first two days of an nweek, the Administrator may, at eir discretion, issue the Gold Coin immediately.

A Player in possession of a Gold Coin may give that Gold Coin to any other Player by stating eir intent to do so on a Public Forum.

A Player in possession of a Gold Coin may Donate A Gold Coin To Charity. This destroys the Gold Coin, and increases the Bandwidth of that player by 1d3+2. [[ Good Karma. ]]

The Administrator may, up to 3 times per nweek, at any time and for any (or no) reason, give one or more Gold Coins to any Player. [[ More Good Karma ]]
}}

I think we can trust Dave to use this responsibly, and there are limits. Plus, this is bandwidth. Think about it. The one and only purpose of bandwidth is to limit the number proposals people can make per nweek. One reason is to keep a semi-level playing field, another is to maintain sanity among those trying to understand them all, and a third is to keep Dave from being overloaded. Currently, people who are making lots of proposals seem to be trying to do something useful most of the time, so that almost deals with the level playing field and sanity. Dave controls the Stars completly, except for if people pay him, which I think we all agree is something Dave deserves.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that Gold Coins are limited in this prop, they don't really unbalance this already screwy game, they can reward Dave in the form of Cash Money, and they let Dave reward people who try to make this a better game (or preserve his sanity which I think he needs).

Yes, it lets the real world encroach a bit on the game (and I'll probably lose on that part, as I don't know where my rent for the last couple of months is coming from), but it doesn't give people real unfair advantages.

On another topic, I have a question: what do you guys think about changing Internal/Public/Private Rules in Societies to Internal/Public/Private Codes? Just for clarity?

Orc In A Spacesuit
thinks if he works this enough, it may actually pass.