Baron von Skippy on 22 Oct 2002 19:49:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] It

On the grounds that, "It dispenses tea or coffee!" (r1148/0, __IT__), I get a hundred cups of Tea from It. I drink them all, setting my BAC to -100 and
my style to 100d4.

I buy the style attribute "Wired".

Well, it dispenses tea or coffee, but I have a plethora of reasons why that didn't work:
It does dispense, but when?  Who says it dispenses 100 right now?
Where does the dispensed tea go? Why should you be able to get some?
No cups.  You need to drink a Cup of Tea, and I don't see any cups.

Ok, so a plethora appears to be 3. I had more, but that about covers it.

Orc In A Spacesuit
sticks his mouth on It's spout, and dispenses away

-Permissability of the unprohibited, my good green sir.-

                                                  [[BvS]]
Rule 393/0, __The All-Important Default Case__, states:
"Players may not change the game state. This rule defers to all other rules." I don't see the It rule allowing anybody to get a cup of coffee. It just dispenses them. Transfering them to your possession would be a change of game state. And still, no cups. Just rivers of tea.

I know why you were Knight of the Gnome Scam.

Orc in a Spacesuit
mixes tea and coffee, and drinks it.

-Because I wrote the pricing rules that let Wonko buy Gnomes for less than he was ditching them for? What does THAT have to do with this?
By the way:

Rule 18/2
Permissibility of the Unprohibited

With the exception of Rule Changes whatever is not prohibited or regulated by the Ruleset is permitted and unregulated.-

I would say that changes to the game state are regulated by the ruleset. And adding a cup of coffee or tea to your inventory is a change to the game state. Especially if there is no 'cup' anywhere.

Orc In A Spacesuit
gargles some tea

-Champagne, then. Anyone remember how you could (maybe you still can; I don't suppose that was important enough to fix) simply grab Champagne from the air and drink of it? Those machines you see sometimes that dispense bad coffee into styrofoam cups, they "dispense coffee." One does not need to add to most listeners that they also give over a cup. The "It" rule says nowhere "It doesn't give you cups!" so I assume that it does, via the Permissibility rule.-

Must we do this?

A. You could never create new Glasses of Champagne, the CFI's stated such.
-You sure? I thought it was legal the time uin did it. Feh, this is slightly different enough for me to ignore your reasoning until a CFI backs it.-
I belive the CFI 688 is the applicable one.
-Ah. Still, though, this is a different situation.-

B. Yes, those machines may dispense Coffee, but you have to actually bring the cup there. And even if you could somehow summon a cup, and got It to dispense coffee into the Cup, it would be a "Cup" that "has Coffee in it", and not a Cup of Coffee.
-Who says I don't have a cup? I'm carrying about 30 alcoholic beverages. I /have/ cups. And forgive my presumption, but a cup with coffee in it is a Cup of Coffee according to standard usage of English.-
So how does a Cup of Whatever turn into a Cup of Coffee? That's a change of game state, which is regulated. Just because It dispenses coffee somewhere doesn't change a Cup. Heck, with that reasoning, I could turn all your Cups into Cups of Sheep Gnomes.
-I could take one of my containers, drain it, then refill it. You can't alter things in my posession; that's illegal.-

C. No rule says that It does give you cups, or has cups, or create cups.
-No rule says It doesn't.-
No rule says it does. No rule says "Orc in a Spacesuit doesn't win the game", or "BvS doesn't give all eir points to Wonko", but these don't happen just because no rule says it doesn't happen. I'm not gonna bother with the details here.
-Those are all changes in the gamestate. Assuming that Coffee comes in cups isn't, espcially when Coffee is /defined/ to have a natural unit of Cups.-

D. Repeat after me:  When you AssUMe, you make an Ass out of U and Me.
-Okay. When you assume, you make an ass out of you and... should be I. Here's one. When I assume, your As can Su Me. I'll make assumptions whenever I want.-
-Whee... stubbornness point for the Baron!-

E. Yes, It dispenses coffee, but why should you get any of it? And why should it have dispensed enough for even one cup by now?
-Because:
1) "It has been featured in Star Trek and can heat a small house"
I take this to mean it's a replicator which can make enough coffee to warm my house up nicely.
Well, you taking it that way doesn't mean jack.
-And your opinion has more merit?-

2) "It's a small Brazillian child trained in the art of satisfaction!"
They grow coffee in Brazil, and I would be satisfied if I had a lot of coffee.
And?
-Therefore, the small Brazilian child gives me coffee. I'd also be satisfied if you yielded this argument. Wonder how he'll deal with that...-

3) "It's a patented method of running around in circles witout getting dizzy."
Well, caffine makes you hyper...
So?
-So? I drink a lot of coffee, I get hyper. I get hyper, I run in circles. If you run in biig enough circles, you don't get dizzy. Therefore, coffee is the patented method mentioned.-

I think my point is made...
I don't.
-That much is clear.-

oh, and I want to note that I voted against It becasue It is so damn ambiguous...-
I went through it all for anything applicable to the game before I voted yes. I voted yes to get the Contrary Vote point, and get 1/2 the points if it actually passed.
-But as we can see, it has LOTS of applicable pieces, if you interpret them right.-

F. Can you guys give this up and give Dave a break?
-Us guys being you and me? Okay, give it up.-
You guys being bd and you and Wonko.
-bd's been pretty quiet so far. You, however...-

Ok, now let's end this sillyness.
-I haven't been silly in days.-

Orc In A Spacesuit