Glotmorf on 22 Oct 2002 03:35:05 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] It

On 10/21/02 at 10:13 PM Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:

>>From: "Baron von Skippy" <baronvonskippy@xxxxxxxxxxx>

>other

>ruleset.
>the

>does
>>>
>>>Must we do this?
>>>A. You could never create new Glasses of Champagne, the CFI's stated
>such.
>>-You sure? I thought it was legal the time uin did it. Feh, this is
>>slightly different enough for me to ignore your reasoning until a CFI
>backs
>>it.-
>I belive the CFI 688 is the applicable one.
>>>B. Yes, those machines may dispense Coffee, but you have to actually
>bring
>>>the cup there.  And even if you could somehow summon a cup, and got It
>>>dispense coffee into the Cup, it would be a "Cup" that "has Coffee in
>it",
>>>and not a Cup of Coffee.
>>-Who says I don't have a cup? I'm carrying about 30 alcoholic beverages.
>>/have/ cups. And forgive my presumption, but a cup with coffee in it is a
>>Cup of Coffee according to standard usage of English.-
>So how does a Cup of Whatever turn into a Cup of Coffee?  That's a change
>of
>game state, which is regulated.  Just because It dispenses coffee
>somewhere
>doesn't change a Cup.  Heck, with that reasoning, I could turn all your
>Cups
>into Cups of Sheep Gnomes.
>>>C. No rule says that It does give you cups, or has cups, or create cups.
>>-No rule says It doesn't.-
>No rule says it does.  No rule says "Orc in a Spacesuit doesn't win the
>game", or "BvS doesn't give all eir points to Wonko", but these don't
>happen
>just because no rule says it doesn't happen.  I'm not gonna bother with
>the
>details here.
>>>D. Repeat after me:  When you AssUMe, you make an Ass out of U and Me.
>>-Okay. When you assume, you make an ass out of you and... should be I.
>>Here's one. When I assume, your As can Su Me. I'll make assumptions
>>whenever I want.-
>>>E. Yes, It dispenses coffee, but why should you get any of it?  And why
>>>should it have dispensed enough for even one cup by now?
>>-Because:
>>1) "It has been featured in Star Trek and can heat a small house"
>>I take this to mean it's a replicator which can make enough coffee to
>warm
>>my house up nicely.
>Well, you taking it that way doesn't mean jack.
>>2) "It's a small Brazillian child trained in the art of satisfaction!"
>>They grow coffee in Brazil, and I would be satisfied if I had a lot of
>>coffee.
>And?
>>3) "It's a patented method of running around in circles witout getting
>>dizzy."
> [...]

Don't forget me.  Now, let's see...There's nothing in the description of It that indicates it's on the grid, or even can be.  That means either It doesn't exist or its location is irrelevant.

There are various points in its description that indicate It's designed to dispense coffee.  Since there's nothing that regulates the actual quantity of coffee, the quantity is unregulated; therefore an infinite amount of coffee is permissible.

Nevertheless, for coffee to have game-specific application, it must be expressed in units of measurement.  Units of measurement, however, do not in any way automatically imply measuring containers.  An ocean contains some huge number of gallons of water, but said water cannot be assumed to reside in an equally huge number of one-gallon jugs.

The rules stipulate that coffee, for it to have its therapeutic value, must come in quantities of "cups".  It does not say it must occupy containers whose capacities are each one cup; it merely indicates the quantity of coffee to be used must be sufficient to fill a container whose capacity is one cup.

Therefore, if one somehow manages to get into one's mouth a sufficient quantity of coffee to fill X number of one-cup-capacity containers, one can be said to have consumed X cups of coffee.  And since the location of It is either undefined or irrelevant, it's either flat-out impossible to get coffee from It (which would seem to contradict the It rule) or one can drink dispensed coffee from It regardless of any other location-related status.

I have said.  Maybe not officially, but still...

						Glotmorf