Orc In A Spacesuit on 21 Oct 2002 10:04:02 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] fixing the societies

From: "Glotmorf" <glotmorf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On 10/20/02 at 9:37 PM Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:

>I have a prop nearly finished to fix the societies once and for all,
>making
>most of them Corporations (which are not societies), and doing away with
>all
>the mess we have.  However, there's a bit I would like to ask the society
>leaders about:
>
>Glotmorf, Prez of M-Tek: As it stands, Corporations cannot propose or
>vote,
>and Societies cannot vote.  Also, people must volunteer bandwidth for a
>Society to use to propose.  You can either keep M-Tek a Society, or make
>it
>a Corporation.  Your pick.

What do you mean, "as it stands"? As it stands right now, there's nothing that says Corporations can't propose. I will vote against any proposal that says Corporations can't propose. It's an unnecessary restriction.

"As it stands" with the prop the way it's written now. And think about Corporations voting/proposing. Does Microsoft get a vote? Does Microsoft propose anything in any lawmaking body? No, it pays people who can lots of money to do so. So if you want, have your Corporation require or encourage its employees to vote/propose.

And unless you're planning to repeal r578 (which I'd also vote against), you can't change M-Tek with a proposal. That would change its charter, the methods for which are regulated in r578.

First, this is a modification to r578. Second, a proposal changes the game state, which includes charters. Also, I, the player do not, so I'm not breaking Prohibited/Restricted rules.

>Wonko and Glotmorf, contested Wealthy Bastards: I'm making this a
>Corporation, and will most likely set Wonko at it's head, as e thought of
>it, though I have considered joint ownership.  You both are Wealthy
>Bastards, in a way, since Glotmorf has a lot o points.  But Wonko leading
>will be most likely.

It's not contested. The current ruling is that Wonko isn't the Wealthy Bastard. Wonko has appealed, but Wonko and I now appear to be in negotiation.

See below.

>I'll get the entire draft out soon, but I wanted to go ahead and ask this
>stuff now.

I'll wait until I see this proposal. I distrust sweeping change, especially since in that belated judgment you gave you said "I don't care about the details."

I wouldn't expect you to do anything but review the actual prop first, and distrust sweeping change; I do the same. But take a look. And as for "the details": I kinda figured out the entire ruleset and am rewriting it, but the arguments you both make are so convulted, and if they are all put together are quite lengthy, and the whole thing is so ambiguous, I just threw my hands up in the air about the whole thing a while back.

Orc In A Spacesuit
expected speed bumps from this quarter