Glotmorf on 11 Oct 2002 05:23:02 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Technologies

On 10/11/02 at 1:21 AM Glotmorf wrote:

>{{ _Let's Get the Ball Rolling..._
>
>{{ _Technologies_
>
>Products are types of objects.  Each Product is uniquely identified, and
>all objects that correspond to a given Product are known by that
>identifier, e.g. if "fizzbin" is a Product, then there can exist
>individual fizzbins.
>
>There exist objects of type Technology.  A Technology is an ability to
>construct objects of a particular Product.  An entity that possesses a
>Technology for a given Product can produce that Product's objects, e.g. if
>an entity possesses the fizzbin Technology, that entity can produce
>fizzbins.
>
>A Technology has associated with it a construction cost in game resources
>equal to some combination of points, BNS, units and/or other game objects.
> An entity with a Technology must have the Technology's construction
>cost's game resources in order to construct that Technology's Product,
>losing the corresponding resources in the process.  Individual
>Technologies may have other restrictions associated with them, over and
>above the construction cost.
>
>If an entity constructs one or more of a Product, that entity can, in
>addition to giving them to other entities freely or as part of Offers,
>place them on the Open Market by declaring the quantity available and a
>per-object purchase price for them on the public forum; those Products can
>then be purchased by other entities on a first-come, first-served basis.
>The selling entity can change the purchase price at any time.
>
>Technologies can be voluntarily transferred from entity to entity through
>replication: the receiving entity obtains an object identical to the
>Technology in the giving entity's possession; the giving entity retains
>possession of its Technology.
>
>An entity can obtain (a.k.a. "steal") a Technology from another entity by
>paying five times the Technology's Product's construction cost in game
>resources, or ten times the price at which the Product is initially made
>available for purchase. [[ Theft, reverse engineering, industrial
>espionage, parallel research efforts, etc. ]] The entity that the
>Technology was obtained from retains possession of its Technology.
>
>Products and Technologies are created and modified via proposals.  A list
>of existing Products and a list of existing Technologies shall be
>maintained by the Administrator.
>
>}}
>
>}}
>
>This is a tad different from the original: it associates the construction
>cost with the Technology, rather than the Product; this allows for
>multiple Technologies with different construction costs to create the same
>Product.  It also doesn't limit construction costs to the Baron's "capital
>resources", nor does it necessarily limit production restrictions to the
>construction cost.  Note that ndays might be considered either a
>restriction or a construction cost, if worded properly.

> [...]

Upon reflection, how about if Technologies *aren't* tied to corporations, at least not collectively?  How about if whether a Technology requires a Corporation to use it is tied to the individual Technology, so that some can exist that non-Corporation entities can produce?

						Glotmorf