Orc In A Spacesuit on 9 Oct 2002 03:35:02 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] problems, ideas

From: "The Voice" <nomicvoice0@xxxxxxxxxxx>
What were the problems with my props about Wind and The Hanging Chad? I'd like to change them, but I don't know what the issues were that caused them to be Shelved... kinda makes it hard.

The Hanging Chad: I voted no, and am opposed to the rule in it's current form and purpose, simply because I think that we already have too many vote affectors. They screw with the game too much, and if someone collected a few things, some very rediculous things could get passed. I really think we ought to get rid of all of the things except the Hands that are of Players, as that's a rememberance of them, and while they can have a big impact on the game, they are not game-breakers.

On an unrelated note, I'm toying with an idea about incorporating Music somehow... maybe having different tunes that players could play on different instruments and having them have different effects... does anyone have thoughts on this? Any ideas would be appreciated/possibly implemented. Thanks a lot.

Sounds interesting. Get a system set up where different players can make their own contributions, whether wanted or not. Here's an idea:

(note! This is partial, I know it's missing stuff!)
{{__The Power of Music__{*(Music),1}

A Melody can start when [[certain]] conditions are met, [[such as]] including no other Melodies in progress, clock on, and [[maybe]] the beginning of an nweek (cause usually that means there's still a few days left for the seminweekly SOE, and the Admin might have a chance to recognize it).

[[What this says is, you pick an instrument for a melody, and you play it the whole melody. You can play a note once per day, and all players may play a total of 3. The instrument and note played may cause effects on what the melody does. I'm also making so people can 'magically stake a claim' on notes, so 2 people trying the same thing doesn't cause headaches.]]

For each Melody, there are 8 beats [[change the number if you want]], and 3 notes for each beat. During a Melody, a Player may choose an instrument e has to play for that Melody if e has not already done so. During a Melody, if e has chosen an instrument for that melody, a Player may claim any amount of unclaimed notes of that melody. When a Player does so, e must declare what pitch e will play, of the following choices (A,B,C,D,E,F,G). [[Sharps/Flats would probably be cool, but I'm keeping it simple for now]].

A Player may Start a Melody if <whatever conditions you want, like no other melody, blah blah blah>.

The day on which a Melody was started is matched with Beat 1 of that Melody, and each successive Beat is matched to the sucessive nday. (Bascially, 1 Beat per nday).

If no Notes have been Played for the Beat that matches the current nday, and Note 1 of that Beat has been claimed, the Player who claimed that Note Plays the Instruments e chose for the current melody, if e is capable of playing it. If only Note 1 has been Played for the Beat that matches the current nday, and Note 2 of that Beat has been claimed, the Player who claimed that Note Plays the Instruments e chose for the current melody, if e is capable of playing it. If only Notes 1 and 2 have been Played for the Beat that matches the current nday, and Note 3 of that Beat has been claimed, the Player who claimed that Note Plays the Instruments e chose for the current melody, if e is capable of playing it.

If a Player Plays an Instrument, e is a Musician for that Melody, and is considered one for that Melody's Enchantment.

Each Instrument has a Aura, an X, and a Tune. Each Melody has an Enchantment and a Name. The Name of a Melody is the Tune of the first Instrument Played in it, and a Melody's X is initally that Instrument's X. The Enchantment of a Melody is the Call of the first Instrument played during that Melody. This Enchantment may be modified by the other Instruments played during that Melody. If a Melody is successfully completed, it's Enchantment is then immidiately executed if it's X is nonnegative. If 2 Enchantments conflict, the one of the most recently played Melody takes precedence. The modifier of a played instruments happens immidiately, if the playing does not Dischord the Melody and the same kind of instrument was not played in the last Beat. If an effect is that a Dischord happens, the Dischord happening does not cancel that effect. If an Instrument is Played and nothing happens as a result of it's modifier (all the IF's didn't work), the Melody Dischords.

Drums
Tune: Rain Dance
X: 0
Aura:For the next X ndays, the Preciptation of the Weather is Rain. If the Weather is updated, any random process that would choose a new Precipition, any option that would change Precipitation to something other than Rain is eliminated, and may not be chosen. Increase each Musician's Activity by 1.
Modifier: X+1

Cymbals
Tune: Song of Pain
X: -5
Aura: For the next X/2 ndays, Players may not take any actions other than: post to the public forum; vote; issue, modify, or rescind a CFI; or propose, modify, or retract a Proposal. [[I'm sure Dave will enjoy Pain :)]] Decrease each Player's Score by 1. [[I suggest playing this song be added to the LOGAS]] Modifier: X+2. If the Precipitation is Rain, Lightning strikes a random Square on the Grid. If the current Melody is a Rain Dance, Thunder is heard in the sky [[doesn't do much, just ominous]]. If any other instrument is played in the current beat that did not play in the previous beat with the same key, or if any instrument is played in the next beat, X-2.

Panpipes
Tune: Satyr's Call
X: 0
Aura: All Gremlins and all Gnomes not in Gnome bags are moved to a random adjacent empty location, if one exists. All Gnomes in Gnome bags are removed from them (but stay in possession of the player who has them). Increase each Musician's Mischievousness by 3. Modifier: If the Tune is not Satyr's Call, X-1. If the Tune is Satyr's Call and no Panpipes have been played with the same Key for the last 2 beats, X+2. [[Note that a bad Key here can cause dischord]].

Whenever a Melody Dischords, each Musician loses 1 style, and of the last 2 notes claimed of that Melody, the claimer of the most recently claimed one loses 2 additional style and 2 points, and gains the property "Dischordant". A Dischordant player may not start a Melody, and may not claim notes in a Melody unless the Player who stated declares that e can. A Player loses the property Dischordant upon participating in a succesful Melody. [[Pretty much, you screw it up, you get boo'd down and can't play until someone invites you to]].

Whoa. This isn't even half of what I thought of. I have designed an entire game (game, not minigame) around this in my head, with different musicians fighting to affect the world with their music, their harmonies, melodies, discords, and more. Think of some of the Fantasia-like animated movies you've seen (I vaugely remember one about a boy who cared for plants got whisked off to a fairy world full of flowers and music, and there was a conductor's baton that let him direct the other things there to play music which held back an evil force). I've even thought of making the notes follow the pattern of a mathmatical formula dictated by the person starting the melody, which I don't think anyone wants.
}}

Orc In A Spacesuit
Current Status: So preoccupied he can't even remember to alter his signature.
is singing deeply, "La Laa LaLaLaa"