Wonko on 4 Oct 2002 02:52:03 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] What are gnomes?

Quoth Orc In A Spacesuit,

> I have a question:  What exactly are Gnomes, in this game?
> Are they supposed to be inanimate objects?
> Little guys with different properties?
> Machines?
> Animals?
> Statues?

Originally, I pictured them as miniature Gremlins, with the same degree of
independence as actual Gremlins.

But that seemed too confusing, so they got downgraded to simple animals.
They are, in fact, animals, though. They certainly aren't machines or
statues. There are some Prose Form proposals which describe them fairly
well, though I don't remember exactly which ones.

> I need to know, as what they are will affect Life Core design, and I may be
> doing a revision of the Gnome rules (mostly shortening things and
> standardizing some stuff).
>
> Oh, and about Technologies: I think that what I did was too structured; had
> too much overhead.  It actually had a lot of flexibility, but was just to
> complicated for it's own good.  Anyway, my thoughts are, a technology is
> Machines + Knowledge, so somebody (maybe me) ought to do something with
> that.  I think that Workshops or Factories with Machines are things that
> should be necessary for, say, creating airspeeders.

You might want to make a Ministry of Technology, who'd be in charge of
keeping track of all extant technologies... That way, we don't have to list
them all in some enormous rule.

--
Wonko