Glotmorf on 2 Oct 2002 02:41:03 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] About the grid reborn

On 10/1/02 at 10:14 PM Baron von Skippy wrote:

>>The original Glotmorf, conceived in 1977, was an amorphous blob that
>could
>>change shape as needed. (Came from a planet that used pneumatic tubes for
>>public transportation.  Long story.) I suppose that might work here.  Got
>>blob in your image bank?
>>
>>						Glotmorf
>>
>-Why was a amorphous Glotmorf concieved in the first place, out of
>curiosity?-

You mean, why did I create the persona, or why was it amorphous?

Why I created the persona was because, even back then, there was networking and net chatting.  At the time it was a multiuser HP 2000 belonging to the school system, with teletype terminals in the schools that students used to write (very non-visual) Basic.  The name came from a scifi show on a radio station that played new age music before it was called new age.  I'm still looking for some of the music they played.

Why I made it amorphous?  Well, yes, there was net chatting back then, but it was still pretty new, especially to a bunch of schoolkids, so I tried to come up with a character that was compatible with distance communication and multilocational presence.  Nowadays we call that sort of person, well, a schoolkid.

						Glotmorf