Wonko on 30 Sep 2002 21:52:09 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] A proposal for next nweek?

Quoth Glotmorf,

>>> This I don't see.  Yes, three people who can get together for the purpose
>>> of manufacturing can form a separate club for the purpose of block voting
>>> and profit sharing, but...why?
>>
>> -Sounds to me like it's partly because that's not what a Corporation is
>> going to do in his vision, partly that vSOI and WBE already can't make
>> proposals and never will, but are natural choices for Corportionhood, and
>> maybe partly because M-Tek can, but that's just a guess.-
>
> vSOI could make proposals if you wanted it to. All you'd have to do is change
> the charter.
>
> WBE can't do anything, because it doesn't exist.  The proposal that's trying
> to create it is illegal, because it's not creating a society the way the rules
> say a proposal can create a society.  Wonko's "proposals change the game
> state" argument doesn't work, because r10 says proposals can't temporarily
> circumvent the rules.

I'm not circumventing the rules. One rule says that I'm allowed to make
whatever proposals I want. Another says I'm allowed to propose to create
societies. There's no conflict there - the two rules agree that I can
propose societies in the one method, and one of the two doesn't care if I do
it any other way.

I also don't see how my proposal isn't covered by G.1. It makes a society,
with a Charter. Nowhere does it say that the Charter cannot also be a formal
rule.

>>> And provisions for distributing same to members.
>>
>> -Why all three, Wonko? vSOI works with points, WBE with BNS, what if M-Tek
>> took Units and we didn't need to all have everything?-
>
> WBE as it's proposed uses units too...it has to have them in order to
> construct its stuff.  Even if M-Tek didn't need points to build things, if it
> ever wanted to sell what it built it'd need a pool of either points or BNS to
> receive payment.

All three are good because various products ought to cost different

>>> This'll be a pain in the butt, unless you're thinking of a Minister of
>>> Societies.  Otherwise, if I form a club out of the blue, and add a couple
>>> members, I can't go corporate unless I somehow find a minister first?
>>
>> -Ditto. Wonko, this will suck. Unless you expand that: a Corporation must
>> have a Minister defined by the Charter who also holds more power in the
>> company and is not paid a salary. It's still not great, but it's a little
>> better.-
>
> Possibly a Market Minister, or a Corporation Minister.  I take it back about
> the Minister of Societies...Sorry, Dave, but I think charter changes should
> stick with you.

I wasn't actually thinking of Charter changes... I meant something like the
WBE Wealthy Bastard, who's responsible for keeping track of how many points,
BNS, Raw Materials,etc. the corporation has. The Corporate Minister for each
corporation would, I assume, be the equivalent of a CEO or Prez, although it
would be possible for a company to designate someone as a sort of Scribe to
track these things.

>>> A good idea, along with provision for losing members, but why make it
>>> mandatory?
>>
>> -Why not make it mandatory?-
>
> Because there may come into existence a club of three people that wouldn't
> want to remain a club if any of the three were to quit...maybe a short-term
> venture or a special-purpose thing.  Requiring a method for adding members is
> like requiring all three types of pools: why should it be required if it's not
> necessary?

Requiring all three types is, IMHO, neccessary for flexibility purposes. The
provisions for adding new members, however, are not. I can remove them.

--
Wonko