Glotmorf on 3 Aug 2002 18:02:04 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Fix

On 8/3/02 at 1:11 PM Jeremy \ Cook wrote:

>I think the current stock system would work if not for the bug Wonko
>discovered. Do you think we need to delete player stock entirely? Why?
>
>Athena

>> >This would work if not for the fact that Bank Account and Share
>Ownership
>> >are undefined-- a simple rewording would suffice.
>>
>> The stock exchange is not messed up solely with respect to Wonko...it's
>generally messed up.  It's only spectacularly messed up with respect to
>Wonko.
>>
>> Therefore, how about something along the lines of, "Adjust player scores
>and shilling balances to negate all stock-market-related transactions that
>occurred this nweek" or something similar?
>>
>> 						Glotmorf

Well, it's not very clearly defined, and I'd rather like to see something different...something more clear, something more complex, and something more evil.  I'm working on something involving IPOs and majority shareholder control...:)

Upon reflection (we all voted in favor of your proposal, so none of us can sincerely say this was anyone's fault :), I think I'd like to see more player control over the issuance of their own stocks, a limited number of shares, and players being able to own their own shares.

What we've got right now for players and proposals is more like paramutual betting than a stock market.  Which isn't necessarily bad, but if we're gonna call it a stock market I think something different would be better.

One thing about stocks is that they're not really random...they're driven by trends, by buyers and sellers and other things.  Stocks go up when lots of shares are bought.  Stocks go down when lots of shares are sold.  People decide to buy and sell based on the performance of the company, panic-inducing indices, etc.  I'm thinking companies whose prices change based on, yes, random factors, but also formulae, combinations of events.

Food for thought.

						Glotmorf