David E. Smith on 23 Jul 2002 04:21:02 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Nweek 20 vote results

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Glotmorf wrote:

> >Reread rule 580. At least half of the votes cast (remember, after voting,
> >abstentions don't count as votes) were either "shelve" or affirmative
> >votes.
>
> Dude!  Damn, yer good, dude! :)

I've automated many parts of voting and vote counting, at long last. (This
part made its debut around nweek 16 or so.) Not only does it catch weird
situations like the above, but it helps me be lazy. Remember, folks, Larry
Wall says laziness is a virtue. Who am I to argue with Larry Wall?

Rule creation can't be easily automated, but vote counting is pretty much
a freebie now. You'll notice the bottom of the vote-results email also
included IOB and affirmative vote counts (and there's also a "contrary
votes" section for next nweek, when the weird poetry rule kicks in).

Unfortunately, like many pieces of code, it's growing ugly and unwieldy.
Things like the above slowly grafted on like so many extra limbs on
Frankenstein's monster. At some point I need to scrap the whole damn thing
and start over.

...dave