Dan Waldron on 20 Jul 2002 14:29:06 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] NWEEK 20 BALLOT

> >> No. If the game affects non-public-forum communication, doesn't that
> >make all non-public-forum communication part of the game state?
> >
> >This proposal does not affect non-public-forum communication!  Can't I
> >make that clear?
> >
> >It uses non-public-forum communication as an input device to adjust
> >players' scores.  But the communication is unregulated.  I thought we had
> >discussed this already.
>
> Tsk.  What's the fundamental difference between prohibiting an action
> through the rules and attaching penalties to the same thing?  Either
> one is going to have a limiting effect on the action.
>
> "Uses non-public-forum communication as an input device to adjust
> players' scores."  Isn't that like saying speed limits use cars as an
> input device to collect additional taxes?  Or a mugger uses a pistol
> as a form of expression to persuade more equitable distribution of
> wealth.
>
> Again, I say tsk.
>
> 						Glotmorf

A mugger _does_ use a pistol as a form of expression to distribute wealth
(well, collect). E can't be charged with homocide unless e panics and
pulls the trigger.  But would you say that being mugged causes the pistol
to have a significant effect on peoples' lives?  There were muggers before
there were pistols (not that I'm advocating for pistol ownership).

In some juristictions parking tickets, if not speeding tickets, do act use
cars as an input device to collect additional taxes.  Officers are
sometimes sent out with instructions to reach a specific daily quota.

If you're going to make npf communication part of the gamestate from this
it would have been already, because the rules already make a considerable
impact on players' time use.  So the whole world is part of the gamestate
really.

Dan