Dan Waldron on 17 Jul 2002 15:31:03 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] proposal

> "These restrictions also apply to any non-public forum communication with
> players on the subject of this game or nomic games in general."
>
> That's from your proposal.  That's a little more than conversations,
> since you don't define "communication"; some might argue that it's a
> tree-falls-in-the-forest thing, that "communication" doesn't occur
> until someone receives the information.  So something I wrote last
> year counts as a communication if someone reads it right now.
> If it will be interpreted like that I can change it so it refers to the
date of first publication.  That is probably when a text document becomes
communication.  I will also put in amnesty for anything written or said
before an entropy threshold is passed.  So you for web pages and comments
you will be in the clear if either you wrote it before you gained entropy
 or it takes a week from when the first person read it to when someone in
the game reads it.

> Your text also covers a little more than subjects relevant to this
> game -- it says "nomic games in general".  So it could be this game,
> it could be some other game, it could be some game that hasn't started
> yet, or that had ended some time ago, or it could mean the overall
> concept of the game without mentioning any game in particular.  Hell,
> the word "nomic" itself has to do with nomic games in general.  And
> it's two syllables.
>
> So let's see what-all this includes...
>
> -	Email between players.
not if it isn't reported.
> -	Email to the Administrator (votes come to mind).
"yes" "no" and "shelve" are all one syllable.  So are proposal numbers.
> - Comments made in any way during other concurrent Nomic games that
> other players in this game play or have access to.  I'm only playing
> one game at the moment, but I do know others play simul games.
If someone isn't actually playing in the same other game as you, they are
unlikely to catch your comments within an nweek.  If they are playing in
the same game, well, you are both in the same situation then and it makes
sense for you to agree not to report each other.

> -	Comments on the Nomic discussion board at www.nomic.net.

I think non-players might find this amusing.  And it would advertise our
game if someone were to post something monosyllabic and cryptic.

> - Webpages that happen to mention the word "nomic" that players might
> stumble across (or seek out).  Including my Insta-Ministry page, my
> former Blind Nomic game, a Nomopoly game I'm setting up on the side,
> my personal webpage that mentions my interests...

Only if they catch it recently updated.  Isn't ministry stuff exempted
somewhere? And anyway, most of it ought to be possible with one syllable
words.

> And that's only what I can think of offhand.  I'd sooner sit in the
> front row of a Gallagher show (he used the sledgehammer long after the
> Sledge-o-Matic routine) than worry about my hard-earned points being
> schlepped away as a result of my life outside this game.
>
> 						Glotmorf

Oh come on it's only ten points.  big deal!

And if it helps I will make it harder to be caught.  I'll change the
window from one nweek to 5 ndays and exempt all non-public-forum
communication made while the clock is off.

Dan