Wonko the Sane on 17 Jul 2002 14:03:04 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] proposal

{{
__Who said games were supposed to be easy?__

delete ",and comments" from the last paragraph of rule 154, subsection
B.6.

append to same rule and subsection the following

{{

These restrictions also apply to any non-public forum communication with
players on the subject of this game or nomic games in general.  A player
violating this restriction in a non-retractable way [[for example where
the transgression was during the exchange of information not some action
that can be disallowed]] shall have eir score reduced by the admin 10
points per email message, conversation, or simmilar amount of information
up to a maximum of 50 points per nday and 100 points per nweek.  A
player's score shall not be reduced to fewer than zero points in this way.
There shall be no penalty if the transgression is not noticed by or
brought to the attention of the administrator within an nweek of having
been commited.
}}
}}

Quite frankly, I don't like all these restrictions on public forum messages, because I'm not convinced that they work. If a rule says "No player may post a message to a public forum unless that message contains the word 'foo' at least twice", and I post a message that only has one 'foo', what happens then? The rule says I can't post a message like that, but obviously, I did. If you like at the list of everything that's reached the public forum, the one-foo message would most definitely be there. So in fact, the problem is that the rule is wrong - it says I can't, when I can. Basically, you're trying to regulate Real World actions with Nomic World rules.

Now, if the rule said "the effects of postings that don't comply with this rule are nullified", maybe that would work. Or perhaps "The author of any message that fails to comply with these restrictions loses 10 points". But not "no player may post a message that doesn't comply with these restrictions", because that's not something the Game can control.

--
Wonko