Glotmorf on 14 Jul 2002 05:14:03 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] proposal

On 7/14/02 at 12:04 AM Wonko wrote:

>Quoth Dan Waldron,
>

>> The location must not be of substance mud or fire.  It must not contain a
>> brook.  It must not be wet.  The player doing the engraving must be
>> carrying a non-dull athame, and must occupy the grid location which is to
>> be engraved, or which contains the engraving to be alterable.   The
>player
>> doing the engraving must not be a Toad.
>>
><anal retentive> "The engraving to be *altered*", perhaps? BTW, does Anal
>retentive have a hyphen? </anal retentive>

I believe it does, yes, especially if "anal-retentive" is one large tag keyword.  On the other hand, if "anal" is the keyword and "retentive" is a parameter, it shouldn't be hyphenated, though I doubt "retentive" would then appear in the de-tag...Otherwise, in the context of conventional usage, whether as a direct adjective or a predicated adjective, the hyphen remains, as the concept must be recognized as inseparable and not confused with the conjoining of the concepts of "related to the passing of solid bodily waste" and "demonstrating a capacity for extended memory", which, while not a common mistake made in today's media- and pop-psychology-driven society, nevertheless shows up as a statistical positive in certain members of the agricultural science community.

Glad I could be of help.

						Glotmorf