Glotmorf on 5 Jul 2002 16:14:06 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Proposal

On 7/4/02 at 4:14 PM Wonko wrote:

>To 'prevent' something from happening and to 'bar' it from happening are
>the
>some thing. Or so says the American Heritage Dictionary. I assume that the
>societies in question do not exist because the rule indicates that this is
>the case, in much the same manner as I assume the game is called B Nomic
>because a rule indicates that this is the case.

The rule doesn't say it bars the creation of the society.  It says it bars the existence of the society.  You could do that today, advancing a proposal that barred the existence of M-Tek.  If that proposal passed, M-Tek would be barred from existing...it would cease to exist.  But you couldn't prevent M-Tek from existing, because it already does.

"Prevent" specifically means "keep from happening".  "Bar" doesn't specifically mean that.  Their definitions do intersect on "impede", but it's still a focal thing.

The only reason I mentioned proposals that bar societies in r578 sG.2 was to illustrate that a society could be created and destroyed in the same nweek, and that if someone doesn't want a society to exist more than a nweek beyond its creation e should make a proposal to that effect.  Nowhere does it say the society is only created upon the failure of existence of such a proposal.

						Glotmorf