Wonko on 3 Jul 2002 22:12:04 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Things wrong with "Junior G-Men"

Quoth Glotmorf,

> On 7/2/02 at 10:00 PM Wonko wrote:
>
>> Quoth Glotmorf,

>> bit

>> society

>> those

>>> Rules 33 and 497 are not in conflict.  Rule 33 talks about an entire rule
>>> conflicting with another; Rule 497 talks about subsections of a rule
>>> conflicting with another rule, where different subsections of the rule
>> have
>>> different Chutzpahs.  Two different cases, two different rules.
>>>

>> They conflict in this case - a subsection of one rule contradicts a
>> different rule. Rule 33 states that the subsection defers, because a
>> subsection is part of its parent rule, so it's a conflict between to rules,
>> and the subsection's parent defers to the other rule. Rule 497 says
>> otherwise - that the subsection can have an independant Chutzpah and thus
>> supercedes the other rule.
>>
>> So:
>>
>> By r33, r294 supercedes r578 in its entirety.
>> By r497, sF of r578 supercedes r294.
>>
>> This is a conflict.
>>
>> By r33, r33 supercedes r497 in the event of a conflict.
>>
>> Thus, r294 supercedes r578 in its entirety.
>
> Rule 33 "states" nothing of the kind.  It talks about entire rules
> conflicting.  Rule 497 talks about pieces of rules conflicting.  Rule 33
> applies when rules that have no pieces that warrant independent consideration
> conflict.  Rule 497 applies when rules that have pieces that warrant
> independent consideration (such as being distinct subsections and/or having
> their own chutzpahs) conflict.  Two separate cases, two separate rules.  No
> conflict between them.

No, rule 33 talks about rules conflicting. Period. No 'entire rules' are
mentioned - just 'rules'. And the fact that part of a rule contradicts
another rule means that rule 33 takes control.

> Had Rule 578 been all of a piece, with no declared subsections and no separate
> chutzpahs assigned to same, Rule 33 would apply.  Since that is not the case,
> Rule 497 is clearly the more applicable rule.

Where does Rule 33 mention special allowances being made for subsectioned
rules? Answer: It doesn't. Therefore, Rule 33 does exactly what it says -
deal with conflicts between rules, regardless of whether or not the rules
are subsectioned.

> That two separate rules exist to handle two different cases does not imply
> conflict between them.  Otherwise, the Administrator would not be able to make
> proposals because there's a different rule that talks about proposals being
> made.  Points cannot be awarded by bonus boxes because points are already
> being awarded by proposal passage.  If either Rule 33 or Rule 497 said there
> was no other way to compare two rules, there would be a conflict; as it is,
> Rules 33 and 497 act together to handle multiple cases, as opposed to
> conflicting over the same case.

But they don't handle seperate cases - Rule 33 handles all conflicts between
rules, and Rule 497 handles all conflicts between subsectioned rules. They
therefore conflict, as conflicts between subsectioned rules are covered by
both.

--
Wonko