Glotmorf on 1 Jul 2002 21:31:03 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] the new-and-improved version!

On 7/1/02 at 4:08 PM Baron von Skippy wrote:

>>A valid thought, but Vader redeemed himself in SW6.  Okay, he died in the
>>process, but still, he was then right up there with Obi-Wan and Yoda in
>the
>>Happy Ghost Troupe.
>>
>>						Glotmorf
>
>-I don't care if he had redeemed himself, he popped up as a phantasm in an
>Ewok (these are the teddy bears that thought C-3PO was a god- not to
>bright,
>and rather spiritual...) celebration. That's just malicious. What if a few
>of the buggers had seen him, eh? He could have caused a panic. Anyway, he
>was an evil bastard, and Amidala liked the "tall, dark, and tragic" look,
>apparently. Did I mention he's one of the three coolest characters in the
>hexology, along with Han Solo and Yoda?-
>
>                                            -BvS-

Maybe Vader, the tall, darth and helmeted version in 4-6 was cool.  Annikin in 1 was a whiny little brat; Annikin in 2 was a whiny teenage brat.  And neither benefited from having a decent actor behind the character.  And Amidala's liking Annikin's look didn't say much for Amidala, especially since they couldn't manage to make her look older than him.

Yoda?  Maybe, given his demonstrated sense of knowing just a whole pile more than those around him, though one wonders at the wisdom at his using the clones.  Imagine you go out of your frat house and find a pile of food in the front yard.  You have no idea where it came from or why someone would leave it there, but then someone says there's a party scheduled tonight, so you figure, what the hell, let's use it.  Your guests are innocent victims, but you deserve the poisoning you get.  And who would use a commander that uses such tortured phrases as, "Around the jedi a defensive perimeter create!"?

Okay, Han "It's not my fault!" Solo wasn't bad, though I'm also fond of the guy from the gas mine whose name I can't recall.  But my favorite was Alec Guinness as the elder Obi-Wan.  He was serene, he was on top of the situation, he made a fairly decent ghost, and, unlike the younger Obi-Wan in 2, he didn't...titter.

						Glotmorf