Glotmorf on 30 Jun 2002 04:40:03 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Don't get up, I'll get it...

On 6/29/02 at 11:44 PM Baron von Skippy wrote:

>I make the following CFI/J/K/L/M, whatever's appropriate:
>
>Statement: The groups "The Juinor G-Men" and "The Juinor Pay-BD-Men" have
>no
>members, and cannot have Gremlins as members.
>
>Analysis (stolen from Dave): None of the entities named as members of
>either
>society have yet declared their willingness to be members thereof (and, as
>NPCs, are unlikely to do so). The public rules provided for that society
>provide no way for Gremlins to join, and even if they did, the Gremlins
>have
>no legal way to accept the invitation. Furthermore, even if the listed
>Gremlins were members (which they aren't), none of them could make
>proposals. The society may *attempt* to do so, but there are no players in
>the society from which the required bandwidth may be drawn.
>
>[[I'd also like to note to bd that it's pretty annoying when you try to
>latch onto someone else's grab at victory. So what if Glotmorf wins? Will
>your victory immediately thereafter salve the hurt?]]
>
>                                                -BvS-

I submit the following counter-analysis, borrowed from my own response to Dave's analysis:

>From Plaintiff's analysis: "None of the entities named as members of either
society have yet declared their willingness to be members thereof (and, as
NPCs, are unlikely to do so)."

Rule 578, subsection G.2, states:

"A Player may, no more than once per nweek, in the first five ndays of an nweek, declare a Society by stating eir intent to do so, along with the Society's Charter.

"The Charter must include a list of the Society's initial Members. Players in the list other than the Player declaring the Society must state their acceptance of membership into the Society in the same nweek as the declaration, or will be dropped from the list of initial Members. "

This requires any Players in a Society's list of initial Members to declare their willingness to be Members, but it does not make that requirement of any other sort of entity that might be in that list.  Gremlins are not Players; therefore, Gremlins are not required to explicitly accept membership.

>From Plaintiff's analysis: "Furthermore, even if the listed Gremlins were members (which they aren't), none of them could make proposals. The society may *attempt* to do so, but there are no players in the society from which the required bandwidth may be drawn."

Rule 578, subsection F, states:

"Societies can submit proposals to the game ballot just as Players can; these are referred to as Society Proposals, or Club Props."

This does not say Society Proposals are necessarily made by members of a Society.  It only says a Society can submit a proposal.

Further, Rule 578, subsection F, also states:

"Each Player in the Society must have (1/(number of Players in the Society)) free in eir bandwidth limit for each Society proposal made."

It does not say non-Player Members need to have any bandwidth free.  Granted, it also says:

"Proposals that a Society submits count as (1/(number of Members in the Society)) proposals against each Member's bandwidth limit."

...but bandwidth limit is defined in Rule 212, which states:

"Each player is limited to a maximum of 5 proposals per nweek."

This puts bandwidth restrictions on Players, but nothing in the rules limits the bandwidth for Gremlins.  Therefore, there is nothing to count against in terms of bandwidth for the members of the Junior G-Men.

Or, for that matter, the Junior-Pay-BD-Men (did no one get my three-way pun?), but Dave's right about that one having too many members to submit club props.

						Glotmorf