David E. Smith on 29 Jun 2002 05:59:06 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] spot the loophole!

On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Joel Uckelman wrote:

> Can you do Jedi mind tricks if you're a Jedi Master? [Waves hand.] "This
> isn't the proposal you're looking for."

I was just thinking about adding a Jedi Mind Trick, probably to force
another player to change eir vote, but I'm trying to figure out how much
Force it should cost for the sake of balance.  Too cheap, and everyone
changes everyone else's votes with wild abandon; too expensive, and it
just isn't any fun.

I was also thinking of putting in something like telekinesis - there was a
small scene in SWI (The Phantom Crapulence) where Qui-Gon manipulates a
"chance cube" (why they didn't just call it a die, I may never know) - for
a reasonable cost, a player can, before a die is rolled, attempt to
influence its outcome. The only die rolls I can think of that occur with
any frequency are the ones for moving the Yeti, Curt and Rod, and the
Gremlinometer updates, though, which limits its utility somewhat.

Heck, if I can find that copy of "Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game" (the
good West End Games version, not the new d20 one where Force-sensitivity
is a Feat and thus pretty much everyone can be a Jedi), I may just start
stealing abilities wholesale from it.

Would having players choose allegiance between the Light and Dark sides of
the Force be overkill?

...dave