Rob Speer on 26 Jun 2002 05:37:03 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Recursion Limit

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 11:34:09PM -0400, Wonko wrote:
> What if I do, "As soon as any other player gives me 5 points, I throw em a
> Gnome"? It's not reliant on a specific action, just the general one of
> somebody giving me points. Another player could then say, "As soon as Wonko
> votes yes on my prop, I give em 5 points", or simply "I give Wonko 5
> points". The Recursion Number of my action is dependant on the recursion
> number of the other player's not-yet-performed action, which can't be
> determined until the action is performed.

Well, that's a somewhat separate problem - making Actions depend on
future events. Since those are such a pain for the Admin, this probably
shouldn't be allowed. If the other player wanted to give you 5 points
for voting on his prop, he could set up an Offer (though I don't know
whether No Kickbacks would make this illegal).

But then that also prevents "As soon as it is legal..." type actions.
And that could be worked around with something like "If the following
Action is legal, I perform it; otherwise, I wait a day and resubmit it",
which would work for half an nweek, but then it's back to being a pain
for the Admin to recognize the intermediate actions which don't
accomplish anything.

I'll have to think about this.

--
Rob Speer