Wonko on 24 Jun 2002 14:09:03 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] DimShip redo

Quoth Glotmorf,

>>> If a DimShip's ballast or buoyancy capacity is reduced below N, where N
>> is the
>>> number of Guns and Armor the DimShip carries times 10, first Guns and
>> then
>>> Armor are destroyed until N is at or below both buoyancy and ballast
>> capacity.
>>> Destroyed Guns and Armor no longer count as ballast or buoyancy.
>>
>> Guns and Armor count as ballast and buoyancy?
>>
>> -That's B.2.1 and B.2.2, where they're defined as adding Ballast and
>> Buoyancy to the Ship.-
>
> Quite.

Well, hmmm, let me check B.2.1 and B.2.2...

B.2.1. Guns

Guns can be purchased for 10 points, and count as 10 respect buoyancy and 10
charm ballast against the DimShip's buoyancy and ballast limits.  Guns can
only be added to a DimShip while the DimShip is Landed.

B.2.2. Armor

Armor can be purchased for 10 points, and counts as 5 respect buoyancy, 5
style buoyancy and 10 charm ballast against the DimShip's buoyancy and
ballast limits.  Armor can only be added to a DimShip while the DimShip is
Landed.

Looking at that, I'd say all it means is you have to set your DimShip back
to zero b/b after buying Armor and Guns. So by the time you destroy them,
it's likely that you've already stopped them from counting as ballast or
buoyancy.

BTW, doesn't that fact that this comes later in the rule then when it
defines the maximum buoyancy and ballast mean that one could overshoot the
b/b limits by setting one's DimShip to +50 respect, -50 charm, and buying a
Gun? Then one would suddenly have +60 respect, -60 charm.

>>> In addition to the above, if a Player possessing the Sushi occupies a
>> DimShip
>>> with a Gun, e may, once per nweek, shoot the Sushi at a Player in a
>> DimShip in
>>> the same realm.  This is equivalent to forcefully giving the Sushi to
>> another
>>> Player, but does not require the Sushi to be owned for four ndays.
>> (This
>> takes
>>> precedence over Rule 213.)
>>
>> So if you're riding in a DimShip that is also occupied by the player with
>> the Sushi, and your ship has a gun, your passenger can shoot the Sushi at
>> you?
>>
>> -Sure, why not? It's a dorsal cannon, and what goes up...-
>
> "Ooo...what does THIS button do?"  It's a good reason to be careful who you
> let onto your ship, but I can see a case for two players sharing one.

I can also see this getting way out of hand. Since under your proposal
DimShips can be moved as many times per day as their pilot wants, and since
we already have a precedent for pseudocode actions, I could issue the
action:

While (I have not rescided this action) {
if (I have the sushi) and (by changing my DimShip's values I could be at the
same location as another player) {
I move my DimShip to that player's location;
I shoot the Sushi at that player;
I move my DimShip back to where it was before this action took effect;
}
}

--
Wonko