Rob Speer on 23 Jun 2002 15:51:05 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Mega-Proposal (revision)

On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 10:32:30AM -0400, Alex Truelsen wrote:
>. Have I been committing a mild
> faux pas all this time, breeding quiet hatred and anger within all of you,
> which might at any moment explode outward in a vicious assault? Or does
> nobody really care?-

Vicious assaults aren't my style. The main result is me being confused
as I see you apparently repeating what someone else just said, then
finally scrolling down and saying "Oh, so THAT'S what BvS is adding,"
muttering at the weird convention briefly before I go on to the next
e-mail.

Your system could work if you had another delimiter for the quoted text.
Putting in the >s is a pain if your mailer doesn't already do it, but
you can also delimit the quote with just << at the beginning and >> at
the end.

This is called "AOL-style quoting" since AOL was the first service to
force its users to use an e-mail interface that sucks rocks, but now
that Hotmail and friends are joining in this great tradition, it makes
sense to use AOL-style quoting there.
--
Rob Speer