Glotmorf on 23 Jun 2002 03:40:04 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] DimShip redo

On 6/22/02 at 9:06 PM Dan Waldron wrote:

>> A. Definitions
>>
>> A.1. Real Dimensions
>>
>> A Player's real dimensions are dimensions that are not modified or
>> adjusted in any way.
>>
>> A.2. Virtual Dimensions
>>
>> A Player's virtual dimensions are the values of eir real dimensions,
>> plus the buoyancy and minus the ballast of whatever DimShip e is
>> currently occupying at the time.  A virtual dimension cannot differ
>> from the corresponding real dimension by more than |100|.
>>
>> D. Application
>>
>> The values of a Player's virtual dimensions are used in any instance
>> where a rule checks but does not alter the value of a Player's
>> dimensions.
>>
>> The values of a Player's real dimensions are used in any instance
>> where a rule alters the value of a Player's dimensions.  This includes
>> instances where the values of a Player's dimensions are checked prior
>> to and as a condition of alteration.
>

>I would prefer it if there was some mention of this in the "dimensions"
>rule.  I think that this will be more likely to work if the same
>terminology is used in the different parts of the ruleset.

I'd wondered about that...whether I should make real and virtual dimensions a more general case, on the off chance that some other rule might come along that could cause virtual dimensions.  At the moment it has the benefit of severability, though, and if there were more than one virtual dimension producer we'd have to worry about semi-recursion as much as recursion -- rule A applying to B which can apply to A could be just as bad as A applying to A.

But I'll give it some thought, along with a general class of "modifiers" and adding DimShips to it.

You okay with the limit of 100, though?

						Glotmorf