Glotmorf on 22 Jun 2002 01:54:06 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Forums

On 6/21/02 at 8:06 PM bd wrote:

>On Friday 21 June 2002 7:48 pm, Glotmorf wrote:
>> On 6/21/02 at 3:09 PM bd wrote:
>> >I create the following proposal:
>> >
>> >{{
>> >__Nip it in the bud: Forums__
>> >
>> >Creat the following rule:
>> >{{
>> >__Freedom of speech__
>> >
>> >There are no restrictions on posting to any public or private forum.
>> >}}
>> >}}
>>
>> That's contrary to both the sushi and the entropy rules.  You might want
>> add the same second para as the default case rule: "This rule defers to
>all
>> other rules."
>
>There are no restrictions of *posting*. Now, I said nothing about whether
>the
>actions in the posts are valid for any reason...

Not entirely true.  The entropy rule requires any post a player with high entropy makes to the public forum adhere to certain restrictions.  Strictly speaking, one could say that if the post didn't conform to those restrictions, the post itself didn't happen, because it could not legally do so. ("All that text there?  Hm.  Must be line noise.")

Basically, our spammer in mainland China has proven that there is little or nothing preventing someone from posting to the public forum.  Any restrictions on the legality or legitimacy of a post are along the lines of suicide laws and contributory negligence laws.  There are, yes, places and times where in Virginia one can get ticketed for failing to wear a seat belt; but the more common use of the seat belt law is in civil court and insurance adjustments, after the fact of an accident, where the responsibility of the parties involved is determined and balanced by how many laws they obeyed.

I think it really becomes another interpretation-through-precedent question.  Rule 16 says fora are the players' means of communicating.  This game cannot be conducted without communicating.  This game has been conducted since December or before.  Therefore, either the de facto status quo suggests public fora can be legally posted to, or else the gamestate has been frozen since day 0, nweek 0.

Personally I'd sooner spend the time worrying about which beer to choose at a bar rather than this issue.

						Glotmorf