David E. Smith on 18 Jun 2002 21:53:04 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Proposal: The Show Must Go On

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Rob Speer wrote:

> The Clock may be turned off a maximum of twice per nweek. If it has
> already been turned off twice in an nweek, then any action which would
> result in the Clock being turned off is illegal for the remainder of the
> nweek.

If you add an explicit "this rule defers to whichever rule it is that lets
the Admin turn the Clock Off when needed" it'll live. Otherwise it'll feel
the fearsome "foomp" of my freshly-inked veto stamp.

Not to mention it could be used to make voting impossible: Find a way to
get the Clock turned off twice in an nweek. Doesn't matter much what, just
about anything will do. Then it becomes illegal for the Clock to turn off
at the end of the nweek (before votes are counted), thus votes never are
counted, then things get awfully ugly.

...dave