Glotmorf on 5 Jun 2002 03:27:44 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: Emergency 2.0

On 6/4/02 at 11:17 PM Dan Waldron wrote:

>> If a player owns a DimShip and has launched it, then rules other than
>> this one that check eir dimension values will check the values of eir
>> virtual dimensions. Rules that change the values of dimensions,
>> though, will change eir real dimensions.
>
>This could still be broken.  Imagine the consequences of a simple "set the
>score of player x to 1 greater than its previous value" otherwise known as
>"increase the score of player x by 1" or "give player x 1 point".

I don't see the problem with this action.  It changes the value of a dimension.  The rule, even in its original form, says the real dimension is used.  It doesn't matter if the action is referencing the dimension at the same time it's changing it; the fact that it's changing the dimension means the real dimension is used, not the virtual one.  And the two sentences in the rule don't conflict, because the precedence rule says the second one takes priority.

I will, though, add "and events" after the second "rules" in that paragraph.

>To make DimShips work all the dimension rules will have to be rewritten to
>take account for virtual and real dimensions.

I disagree.  The dimension rules are stable as they are.  There simply needs to be a clear deliniation between what real and virtual dimensions are used for.

After a point we get to where we're trying to regulate common sense.  It is still my opinion that Wonko's first scam would have failed, even after a miserable nweek of CFIs to determine that fact.

						Glotmorf