Dan Waldron on 1 Jun 2002 22:48:42 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Neatening up - English

> That's good for the future, but there's some status quo holes to be
> considered.  There is, for example, no in-game definition of "entity",
> "vote", "object", "rule", "permissible" or many other commonly used
> words in the rules.  I suspect that if anyone raised a fuss about
> this, the response would be that the meanings of those words are
> "known".  What, then, is the criteria for determining which English
> words are "known" and which aren't?
>
> 						Glotmorf

The simplest way would be that a game definition replaces a natural
english definition in all cases within the scope of the game definition.

So, for example, "points" is defined for players so we use the rules
definition when referring to players.  But if we talk about a point as a
position on the grid it reverts to its natural usage.

For anything that lacks an in-game definition then we use the natural
usage until someone defines it.  I also believe that if there are words
currently used in the ruleset that require a definition ("object" springs
to mind, although I dont know how I would go about defining it) that
someone should get those definitions in a proposal right away.

Dan Waldron
ICQ 57894467