Wonko on 29 May 2002 00:11:36 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: The Daily Recognizer (Tuesday morning)

Quoth bd,

> On Tuesday 28 May 2002 7:47 pm, you wrote:
>> Quoth Rob Speer,

>>> I'm not bothering to look at these rules in detail at the moment, but
>>> there had better be something in the rules that stops the DimShip rule
>>> from applying to itself. Otherwise the "current location" it displaces
>>> from is the virtual location, because for all the rule knows the virtual
>>> location _is_ the current location - which would bring everything
>>> crashing down the first time someone set +1 Buoyancy of Entropy. You
>>> don't need five ships for that.
>>
>> There's nothing to stop it from applying to itself.
>>
>>> And if it doesn't apply to itself (a more favorable situation), then the
>>> five DimShips couldn't possibly work cumulatively.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I think it does...
>
> Wow. I'll get to see rule 0 in action! Yipee!
>
> I mean, Oh No!

Is there actually an Emergency? I think all us DimShip people just get a lot
of Wins really fast... but in Nomic, an infinite number of actions can take
place in a finite period of time. As of now, a bunch of people have a lot of
wins, the grid is permanently in flames, nobody can play football, as nobody
can go onto the Grid, no insta-rules can be made, as they'd get wiped, and
nobody knows where the Endzones are. There are also no Gnomes, and all
Gremlins are Hiding. All player's scores are flying left and right with
little or no provocation. The Weather is changing so fast we've got no clue
what's going on, but that's okay, as the Weather only affects the Grid, and
the Grid is inaccessible.

In short, All Hell has Broken Loose.

Fortunately, we're all safe and tidy up here in Limbo, so we can just keep
going as usual, just without any real 'dimensions'. ;)

Say, where's my BAC? It was plummeting down infinitely earlier, but now it's
whizzing back up...

--
Wonko