Alex Truelsen on 28 May 2002 15:19:18 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: Kick in the ass, a great big kick in the

-Or not... How the hell was I supposed to know that was a hoax? (Don't
> answer that, I have a way now.) Perpetuating is one thing, but being an
> unknowing victim? Being CAUTIOUS? If you wish to attack people because they
> don't know the names of every file on their hard drive, and don't know of
> every hoax out there, then I think you're the one who needs the Kick in the
> Ass.-

I'm sorry, but how is passing on an e-mail message instantly without
bothering to check its validity "being CAUTIOUS"? In the case of most
e-mail chain letters it's just dumb; in this case it was actually
harmful.
-Rob, how was I supposed to check its validity? I recieved a message from a friend, not a chain, mind you, he had written it up himself, and had pasted in the instructions. It wasn't a chain, it was a sincere warning, and only later did he discover that it was a hoax. Don't assume that just because you know something, everyone else does, and anyone who doesn't is stupid, okay?-

If you were to search for "jdbgmgr.exe", "bear virus", or any such
phrase on the Web, you would find a multitude of pages explaining the
hoax. In fact, if this virus were REAL, it would still be a good idea to
do a web search. What are the odds that an e-mail passed through
hundreds of people would still contain the correct instructions for
removing a virus?
-Hindsight is 20/20. Get off my back, okay? I've never been the target of a virus, and I was trying to avoid this being the first time.-

--
Rob Speer

                                        -BvS-