Wonko on 28 May 2002 02:08:01 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: Winning v2.0

Quoth Glotmorf,

> On 5/27/02 at 6:32 PM Wonko wrote:
>
>> Well, I sent this once, but I didn't get it back... I'll try again.
>
> It showed up in my email before my stuff did, so it probably showed up that
> way in the list too.  My bad for trying to wait until as close to the end of
> the nweek as possible...
>
>> I set my Dimship to 100 Score Buoyancy, 100 BAC Ballast.
>
> I see a couple problems with your master plan.  The first one is here: by
> dropping your Entropy buoyancy, you instantly raised your Entropy to 41.  That
> makes the rest of this message illegal, since all of the sentences that follow
> this one contain words longer than one syllable. (There was a reason why I
> broke my dimship actions into three messages.)

No, I can't send msgs when my Entropy is high. At the time I sent the msg,
my Entropy was low, so it was legal. The actions didn't take effect until
they reached the forum, by which time the msg had already been posted.

>> I buy 5 new DimShips. [[Nowhere does it limit the number of DimShips
>> players
>> may have :) ]]
>
> I know.  I was counting on that to pick up a hot spare, so that I can drydock
> a ship to get it fixed and still dimcruise.
>
>> I name my five new DimShips Entropy Ship 1, Entropy Ship 2, Entropy Ship 3,
>> Entropy Ship 4 and Entropy Ship 5, respectively.
>> If I still have a score of at least 100, I buy another DimShip, naming it
>> the Score Ship. [[I can't load Nomic.Net, so I don't know my Score]]
>> At the end of the nweek, I launch all five Entropy Ships at 100 Entropy
>> Buoyancy, no Ballast, and the Score Ship at 1 Entropy buoyancy, 99 Score
>> Buoyancy, no Ballast.
>>
>> [[
>> Here's what I believe will happen:
>>
>> At the end of the nweek, thanks to my Ships, Global Entropy hits 500.
>
> The second problem is here, and it comes from Rule 493:
>
> "A DimShip is capable of carrying a Player through DimSpace by taking on
> virtual dimensional values: Buoyancy (positive virtual value) and Ballast
> (negative virtual value)."
>
> Note the singular, and the use of the word "carrying".  Without using physics
> that make my head hurt, I don't see any way that multiple DimShips can carry
> you at the same time.  Therefore, even though you have five dimships with 100
> entropy buoyancy each, it is my opinion that they don't give you more than 100
> entropy buoyancy at any given time.

The singular implies that that's what a dimship does. With multiple
Dimships, each one fulfills its function. You're making the mistake of
forcing your own ideas of what should be onto what is. You speak of using
'physics that make my head hurt' as the only way Multiple DimShips could be
employed, but there is no such thing as 'physics' in Nomic.

If you must project some semblance of real-world physics upon them, think of
them as little flying machines tied to me with strings. A dozen of them
could then pick something up and pull it twelve times as far as any one of
them could alone.

Although even that's not accurate, as there's no connection between DimShips
and any real-world analogy.

--
Wonko