Glotmorf on 27 May 2002 04:16:21 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Physical Law/Mutable Rule

On 5/25/02 at 7:50 PM Dan Waldron wrote:

>Here's draft.
>
>Defining Rule
>{{
>There exist three types of rules: Physical Laws, Mutable Rules, and
>Charter Rules.
>
>Physical Laws take precedence over all other rules.  No Mutable Rule or
>Charter Rule can declare an exception to any Physical Law.
>
>Charter Rules defer to all other rules.  No Charter Rule may declare an
>exception to any other rule.  The subsetset of entities to which a Charter
>Rule or group of Charter Rules applies must be specified by Mutable Rule
>of Physical Law.
>}}

First of all, welcome back. :)

Regarding "Charter Rules"...Whilst doing the family thang over the weekend I got well underway on a Less-is-More-ism for Societies, which should both simplify things and clean up some of the issues Wonko's been jackhammering into the walls...It might make an impact on what you're considering a Charter Rule.

Aside from that, I haven't studied your proposal in too much depth, and done the cross-reference thing and all -- did you really do a total ruleset markup?  someone buy this boy a respect point -- but if you're worried about it failing, why not do a sort of placeholder rule with a grandfather clause, that defines the classes of rules, and gradually shift rules into the classes?

						Glotmorf