Wonko on 22 May 2002 21:17:17 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: So this, then, must be legal?

Quoth Glotmorf,

> On 5/21/02 at 4:32 PM Wonko wrote:
>
>> Quoth Glotmorf,

>>> It's valid as a Charter Prop.  But the act of taking 20 points from the
>>> Gremlin Fund isn't permitted anywhere in the rules, so members of the
>> LOOP
>>> can't be ousted at this time...
>>
>> But members of the Club must abide by its Charter... That is in the rule.
>> If
>> the rules declare that I must act in accordance with a text that permits me
>> to take points from the Gremlin Fund, then I can take points from the
>> Gremlin Fund.
>>
>> --
>> Wonko
>
> This is the same argument uin used with eir glasses of champagne.  My
> argument's the same.  Just because a particular action is legal, and that
> action requires the legality of another action, that doesn't mean the other
> action is legal.  The Charter you've described in your Charter Prop states the
> method by which people can be kicked out of your club; it doesn't say it's
> legal to actually perform that method.

It's not the same at all. The Champagne case deals with the legality of
performing actions on nonexistent objects. The LOOP, however, declares that
players may perform a certain action, and thus they may. The analogous
situation with Champagne would be if a player had a glass of Champagne and
tried to drink it, and you claimed that it was illegal because while the
Alcohol rule says that players may drink Champagne by posting a message to a
public forum, nowhere do the rules explicitly state that players may post
msgs to public forums.

--
Wonko