Jonathan David Amery on 13 May 2002 12:18:57 -0000

spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: CFJ

> <cfj>
> <statement>A player may drink a glass of champagne at any time, regardless of
>  whether any glasses of champagne exist.</statement>
> <analysis>
> Rule 503 states "A player may drink a glass of champagne by announcing that e
>  is doing so in a public forum, this causes it to be destroyed." Admittedly,
> the "causes it to be destroyed" clause might *imply* that there has to be a g
> lass of champagne there, but it doesn't actually seem to be *required* anywhe
> re (and note that one could certainly drink someone else's champagne). Common
>  sense would indicate this statement is false, but the rules take precedence,
>  and they say one may drink.
> </analysis>
> </cfj>

 I would assert that you can't manipulate an object that doesn't exist
(whether the rules explicitly say this or not, I'm sure that they
don't say that you can).

 Also, you definitely can't drink a glass of champagne in another
player's possession, thanks to rule 636.

 WC