Gavin Doig on 1 May 2002 16:43:24 -0000

RE: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: [[Avoiding Entropy]]

> The quoted version would not have been comment text
> had it been posted on its own authority; but since it
> was a quote from a comment, it was explicitly taking
> the text from a comment, and therefore trying to give
> comment text the force of rule.  Once Wonko made it
> comment text, the "shall not" kicks in, which means
> that comment text can't be used to make rules with.

It's not. The quote of it is. Comment text is text enclosed in [[]]s. Wonko's wasn't, therefore it isn't. It was a quote of it. That means, by Rwhateverthelatestruletodefinesomesillyhooptojumpthroughbeforepositingamessageis, he's allowed to post it regardless of syllabi. Despite being identical to, and a quote of, the comment text, however, it was not comment text, as it doesn't meet the definition of comment text.

> My proposals, on the other hand, weren't comments
> in the first place, so r8 can't apply to them.  If you
> post the text of my proposals in comments, you're
> quoting me, and my proposals are still the original.
> If you post comments whose text is identical in
> wording to the text of my proposals, but doesn't
> claim to quote my proposals, that's just a separate
> instance of the same words in the same order; it's
> not the same text.  Wonko could have done that,
> using the same words in the same order as eir
> comments in a proposal, and it wouldn't have
> affected r8, but e couldn't have legally used some
> of those words.

"It's just a separate instance of the same words in the same order" - quite. That's sort of my point. R8 makes no distinction between "original" and "quoted" text - that's a distinction made only in Rwhatever. R8 cares not for such distinctions. For the sake of what R8 permits, only R8's criteria are important. So either Wonko can quote all he wants, or any instance of text in [[]]s can never have the "force of Rule".

> There's a relevant Jorges Luis Borges piece that
> addresses these issues, but that'd be a long
> quote.  Or a long comment. :)

"The map is not the territory". The quote is not the comment.

uin.

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup