Wonko on 1 May 2002 02:00:28 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: The Daily Recognizer (Tuesday morning)

Quoth Glotmorf,

> On 4/30/02 at 4:23 PM Karin L. Kross wrote:
>
>> (catching up after a couple of days worth of busy-ness)
>>
>> On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Wonko wrote:
>>
>>> Besides, the Fight Club proposal was proposed before there was such
>> thing as
>>> a Charter Prop.; if it wasn't a normal proposal, then it had no business
>>> being on the Ballot to begin with.
>>
>> Well, I did include in the proposal the following language:
>>
>>> This is a Charter Prop, to be defined by the rules included in
>>> the @&%$! delimited text.
>>>
>>> If either 572 or 586 do not pass, or if both do not pass, this
>>> proposal deletes itself.
>>
>> But it now occurs to me -- it appears (unless something is amiss
>> with the website) that 572 ("if we sqeeze up a bit we can all fit
>> in") did *not* in fact pass.  Therefore this proposal ought to
>> have deleted itself on the non-passage of 572.
>>
>> So what happens to the votes, negative or otherwise, or the
>> points that would have been won or lost, on a proposal that,
>> according to its own terms, deleted itself?
>>
>> -Congenital Optimist
>
> Aw...and after I did all that arguing for you too. :)  Ah well, it had to be
> done anyway.
>
> If your Fight Club Charter Prop gets recognized as a Charter Prop (as it truly
> should be), then there should be no point gain or loss for it.
>
> As for the deletion, it couldn't happen, because, if a Charter Prop is
> determined to not be a proposal, there's no provision for modifying a Charter
> Prop.  And if it's still a proposal, then it can't be modified after voting
> started.  What you were looking for was something at the beginning that said,
> "...then this proposal has no effect."

But the proposal is only a Charter prop because it makes itself a Charter
Prop, so if it fails, it's not a Charter Prop.

Anyway, it failed before there was such thing as a Charter Prop - first all
votes are counted, then all proposals are determined to have passed or
failed, then the effects of passages/failures are performed.

--
Wonko