Glotmorf on 30 Apr 2002 21:28:27 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: The Daily Recognizer (Tuesday morning)

On 4/30/02 at 5:15 PM Wonko wrote:

>Quoth Glotmorf,
>
>> On 4/30/02 at 6:00 AM David E. Smith wrote:
>>
>>> As was already pointed out, the Fight Club proposal would have passed by
>>> the Charter Prop. rules, but the regular voting rules do take
>precedence.
>>
>> Rule 32, that Wonko quoted, talks about props., but Rule 631 doesn't say
>> Charter Prop is a prop; it says a Charter Prop is *like* a "normal
>prop".  If
>> it is only like a "normal prop", but defined on its own, and different
>from a
>> "normal prop", then Rule 32 doesn't apply.
>>

>Then the rest of rule 32 doesn't apply either - the part about "what's in
>the proposal becomes part of the ruleset". So if in fact a Charter Prop. is
>not a normal prop, then it is incapable of changing the ruleset at all.
>
>Besides, the Fight Club proposal was proposed before there was such thing
>as
>a Charter Prop.; if it wasn't a normal proposal, then it had no business
>being on the Ballot to begin with.

There is nothing that says proposals are the only way of changing the ruleset, hence that loophole fix of one or two nweeks ago.  R631 says a Charter Prop contains a rule that defines a Club; therefore it doesn't need r32 to have rule-making capacity.

Since there was no such thing as Charter Props when the Fight Club Charter Prop was made, it was placed on the ballot as if it was a proposal, because it resembled one.  However, once Charter Props came into existence earlier in the ballot, the Fight Club Charter Prop, claiming to be a Charter Prop, was due a place on the ballot because r631 says Charter Props are "like a normal prop. in that it's added to the nweek ballot and voted on."  I don't believe there's anything that says only proposals can be on the ballot; it's just that r32 says proposals are specifically entitled to be.  Just as r631 says Charter Props are.

Plus, the Administrator has been kind enough to create a precedent by putting the Upper House's "charter" in a page separate from the ruleset, so even if the rule in the Charter Prop can't be added to the ruleset, it doesn't mean it can't affect the game.

						Glotmorf