Glotmorf on 20 Apr 2002 22:17:04 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: DimShips do.... what exactly?

On 4/20/02 at 4:48 PM Eric Gerlach wrote:

>At 04:40 PM 20/04/02 -0400, you wrote:
>>At 07:06 AM 20/04/02 -0400, you wrote:
>>>Your dimensions per se don't change, but, thanks to being in a DimShip
>>>with ballast and buoyancy set, you are displaced in dimspace, so that
>>>it's as if you're at a different dimensional location -- a virtual
>>>location, if you will.
>>
>>I got that as the intention, however I don't think the rule is strong
>>enough to actually make it happen.  It doesn't say what a vitrual
>>dimensional location is, nor does it override any rules.   So basically,
>>for anything invoving DimShips, sure, you're at this virtual
>>location.  But for any other purpose, your dimensions sre read as they
>>are.  So they're a bit self-centric to be of any use.
>>
>>>Which means (a) if you use a dimship to spend points you don't have,
>your
>>>actual points might go negative, and your virtual points would decrease
>>>because they're just a displacement from your actual points; and (b) if
>>>your dimship gets shot full of holes your actual points apply.
>>
>>Doesn't override the necessary rules.  This is a complex bugger that's
>>going to take some effort to work out.  As it stands I think the DimShips
>>are just a meaningless way to spend 100 points, and I'll CFJ to that
>>effect if necessary.  Good luck with doing anything with them.
>
>And for good measure, the only rule that even mentions "DimSpace" is the
>one governing DimShips!  So your DimShips move through a non-existant
>space... or one that is only defined in terms of the DimShips.  Not to
>mention that "launching" does absolutely nothing to the state of the
>DimShip... it is exactly the same launched and not launched...  There are
>holes big enough to march several legions of Gremlins through this rule,
>and I haven't even started nitpicking yet!  (Geez, I've been really
>slacking off on my job as Nitpicking King... I think I'm going to go over
>the potential ballot...)
>
>Once you make the appropriate definitions, I'm sure this will work, but as
>it stands you've got a white elephant on your hands.
>
>Bean

Rule 407: "A Space is a part of the game state in which it is possible to move in multiple directions. In general, a player's position in each direction is called a Component.

"The two Spaces that currently exist are the Dimensions, where each Dimension is a Component, and the Grid, where the X and Y values are the two Components."

"DimSpace" is a shortened form of "Dimensions Space", which I referred to when creating DimShips.  Rule 407 defines a Space called the Dimensions -- as in, the Dimensions Space, or DimSpace.

>From the Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary: "launch (v): a : to set (a boat or ship) afloat b : to give (a person) a start <launched in a new career> c (1) : to originate or set in motion : INITIATE, INTRODUCE (2) : to get off to a good start"

While the term "launch" is not defined in the rules, it does have a definition as part of the English language, which includes one that can be applied to rule-defined objects that have events and actions associated with them: to originate or set in motion.  Purchasing a DimShip takes care of originating it; that leaves setting it in motion.  Since a DimShip is something that moves in DimSpace, the statement that it's launched at the end of the nweek suggests that it can't move in DimSpace until the end of the nweek it's bought.

This isn't to say the rule's chutzpah shouldn't be adjusted...

						Glotmorf