Gavin Doig on 18 Apr 2002 12:37:12 -0000

RE: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: Proosal: Do your best to change the subject.

>>> One could make that argument, but one would be wrong. Perhaps a decent
>>> argument could be made that it was illegal to make a proposal
>> "dependent" on
>>> another proposal except in the manner specified in the rule, but nothing
>>> stops one from doing almost exactly the same thing and simply calling it
>> something different.
>>
>>What Wonko said. There's already been a CFJ on this kind of thing, having
>>to do with standard delimiters.
>>
>>uin.
>
> There was also CFJ 251 that said that since there's a rule that says how
> something is done in a particular case, that serves to regulate all cases,
> and therefore only another explicit rule can permit that thing to be done in
> a different particular case.
>
> In other words, there were two, in my opinion, directly conflicting CFJs.  I
> CFJ'd on that fact, and the answer given was that CFJs don't have to
> agree with each other.

CFJ251 says that, since R30 regulates voting, you can't vote except in compliance with R30. Wonko's argument above was that since Rwhatever regulates dependancy, you can't make a dependant proosal except in compliance with that rule. It's the same thing.

In each case, you can still do something equivalent, as long as it's not what's covered by the rule. The only way of affecting proosal passage is by voting, but you could have a straw poll of some kind, which would be another form of voting, but would be permitted, or you could "etov" on a proosal, which would also be permitted (although meaningless (at least from the standpoint of the rules)).

And, although it's your opinion that the 2 CFJs (CFJ 249 and CFJ 251) were contradictory, it's not anyone else's. When you CFJed it (CFJ 284) the answer was *not* that CFJs don't have to agree (although, strictly speaking, they don't). The answer was "There is no reason to believe the judgements to be contradictory." (followed by some further explanation, which I won't bother to quote).

"You're fighting a losing war. Join the Dark Side. We're right, we're winning, and all the hot chicks are over here."

uin.
N.B. This email in no way constitues a guarantee as to the location or ideology of any chicks, hot or not.

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup