Wonko on 31 Mar 2002 16:11:39 -0000

spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: The right to not incriminate oneself

Quoth Alex Truelsen,

> All right, this is the final time I'm doing this. Glotmorf, thank you for
> your Notepad suggestion. That's all it took. Last time I try to edit
> punctuation at 11:30...
>
> Replace the entirety of Proposal 524 with the following ONCOMINGTRAIN
> delimited text:
>
> ONCOMINGTRAIN
> {__If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving is Not For You__
>
> [[
> Copper sat at er shiny new desk, awaiting er first assignment in the
> now relatively peaceful post-riot Bville. However, despite alcohol
> consumption in the city skyrocketing in the past week, peace still reigned.
> Perhaps, e thought, it was the very prospect of er wrath that was keping the
> peace. Yes, surely that was it. E put er feet up on the desk, content that
> existing was all that was needed in this job. A sudden knock on the door
> interrupted er reverie.
> "Come in."
> Two male players entered. The leading one had a faint aura about him
> of almost intangible power, and a smug look about his face. Copper
> recognized em as The Voice, one of the leading players in Bville. The second
> player wore an emblem on his tunic, a crowned squirrel set on a cross, and a
> worried look on his face.
> "Baron! What a pleasant surprise!" Copper greeted er creator happily.
> "And your Voiceness," his tone changing to worry at the look on BvS's face,
> "what brings you here today? Not another riot, I hope?"
> "Go ahead, Baron," The Voice said, with the air of a great orator, and
> the voice to match, "Tell him."
> "Copper, he's subpoenaed us."
> "What?"
> "And Wonko. Apparently, you're not Idol-compliant. Nobody knows what
> effect you'll have on the Immunity Idol, so /he/," jerking a thumb at The
> Voice, who was looking around the office with a faint sneer on his face,
> "wants you and Guido liquidated."
> "Liquidated, my good Baron? Hardly. They don't exist. The laws of the
> Nomiverse say that they cannot exist. Once the courts recognize this, they
> will return to where they came from." With this, The Voice pulled a sheet
> out of his robe, presenting it to Copper. "A petition to have your existence
> invalidated."
> "But there's only one signature on this, yours! How is this a
> petition?"
> "Baron, can't you create intelligent Gremlins? Never mind, I suppose
> you'll get it eventually. Just keep trying to propose things. Gremlin, it
> only takes one to CFJ. Now then, as you can see, since the rule that created
> you did not edit R293, you can't exist."
> "Baron, isn't there anything you can do?" Copper asked plaintively. "I
> don't want to not exist!"
> The Baron suddenly looked thoughtful. "Voice, give me that CFJ a
> second?" He read it over once or twice, then spoke with renewed hope. "Well,
> it seems there is really only that one problem. Copper, would you take this
> [...]

Um... but now you've got the "if Rule 501 has been removed from the ruleset"
bit again...

Also, I think this will still end up with Copper being illegal - the rule
will be enacted, but because the *rule* doesn't amend the Idol rule, it'll
be illegal, and *then* the stupid sentence that made it illegal will be
erased. But Copper will have been illegal at the time of its creation, and
so will be not.

--Wonko

"If Stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?" "
    - Will Rogers