Glotmorf on 26 Mar 2002 06:59:03 -0000

spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: Use Them or Lose Them

On 3/25/02 at 11:08 PM Rob Speer wrote:

>I propose: __Removal of Cruft__
>{{
>
>1. Repeal rule 204/1. [[ It doesn't work, because it attempts to
>legislate what rules can do. This is impossible. Not screwing with time
>should be a matter of game etiquette. ]]

And we all know Nomic is an etiquette-based game.  Right.  R204, among other things, prevents paradox in the form of "This rule never existed" rules.  I like that, especially if Bean's sociopathic proposal goes through.

>2. Modify rule 214/1 to read:
>{{ The value of the Clock must be displayed in public view. If the Clock
>is Off, the value of the Watch must be displayed in public view. }}

Have we defined what "public view" is?  Would spraypainted onto a Brooklyn subway wall count?

>3. Repeal rule 215/0.
>
>4. Remove the two last paragraphs of rule 216/0. (Sorry - the 'proposing
>multiple rules' mechanism is entirely messed up. My bad.)

Um...it worked in my Nomilogue #1...

>5. In Rule 260/1, change the text
>{{ with the text "*name* gets a Kick in the Ass." }}
>{{ indicating that e is giving that player a Kick in the Ass, and the
>reason why. }}
>
>6. In proposal 300/1, change the text
>{{ A second rules listing will be added to the game state }}
>{{ A second rules listing is part of the game state }}

Iffy, since the second listing doesn't exist at the moment.  Does this mean it is valid for the game state to contain a second listing, whether or not it actually does?

>7. In rule 301/3, remove the paragraph
>{{ The distance between two squares is the square root of (the
>difference in x-values of the squares squared plus the difference in
>y-values of the squares squared). }}
>[[ Rule 407, "Space", makes it redundant. ]]
>
>8. In Rule 401/0, change the text {{ ZOE }} to {{ ZOE and ZATR }}.
>[[ Right now Wax would not help you get away from a Siren. ]]
>
>}}
>

>--
>Rob Speer

I have issues with #s 1, 4 and 6; otherwise I'm okay with the rest.

						Glotmorf