Donald Whytock on 4 Mar 2002 03:39:23 -0000

spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: The Plague of Gremlins

On 3/3/02 at 7:42 PM Wonko wrote:

>{{
>__They're Everywhere! Part 2__
>
>Append to the rule entitled "Gremlins" the following WHEEE delimited text:
>WHEEE
>There exists an entity known as the Plague of Gremlins. All Gremlins are
>considered to be part of the Plague of Gremlins. At the beginning of each
>voting period, if all Gremlins are Hiding, all Gremlins become Active.
>Otherwise, the following shall occur:
>If the Gremlin number is greater than 62, the Plague of Gremlins votes No
>on
>k randomly chosen proposals on the current Ballot, where k is the 8th
>Gremlin number.
>If the Gremlin number is less than 59, the Plague of Gremlins votes Yes on
>randomly chosen proposals on the current Ballot, where k is 9-(the 8th
>Gremlin number).
>If the Gremlin number is equal to 59, 60, 61, or 62, all Gremlins go into
>Hiding, and may not become Active for at least 5 ndays.
>
>This rule takes precedence over all rules which determine when Gremlins may
>become Active.
>WHEEE
>}}
>

>--Wonko

First off, you didn't say the rule takex precedence over all rules which determine when Gremlins go into Hiding, so rules that say a Gremlin goes into Hiding under such-and-such conditions, but are otherwise Active, would prevent the go-into-Hiding action.

Second...are we truly ready for the possibility that, as a matter of random chance, a rule may get passed that we flat-out don't want to see passed?  If someone had no concern for the prospects of lost points, e could wait until the Gremlin Number was high, then make all five of eir proposals as, "Player X gets 1000 points," on the off chance that e and the Gremlins together would adopt it.

If it is absolutely necessary for Gremlins to vote, how about having them each vote on different randomly selected proposals, so that k randomly chosen proposals on the ballot each receive an extra yes vote or an extra no vote?  That'll at least only influence those proposals that are wanted by half the Players.

						Glotmorf